Change oil now!

Good afternoon people, 

I have just got back from being away for a few months due to being in the military. 

Got in the car and this warning came on. Change oil now! 

There is no warning light after or anything just comes on when you start the car. 

My Mrs says it's been like it for a few weeks. 

When I brought the car in Feb it had 50578 miles on the clock and now has 55748. When purchased the garage replaced the engine oil and filter with 4.6 litres.

Is this an asap job or can it wait as I am flat out at work atm and kind of need the car. 

The car is a 2.0 TDI Octavia VRS 2014

Cheers 

Either the garage failed to reset the service interval or they didn't change the oil and filter. 

Two things will trigger that warning. 

1: Oil condition/level sensor detects poor oil quality

2: Mileage or date since last service exceeded. 

Either way, if the oil level is OK you can safely use the car.

• Thanks 1

+1 sounds like the interval on the trip computer was not reset. If on fixed interval it should be 1 year or 10k (roughly) so you should be good until next Feb or 60k.

• Thanks 1

My Fabia is the same. It’s just came up with service now! On the dash. 

Ill have to get the garage to change it to a yearly when it goes back in! 

7 hours ago, Trago1987 said:

When I brought the car in Feb it had 50578 miles on the clock and now has 55748. When purchased the garage replaced the engine oil and filter with 4.6 litres.

Is this an asap job or can it wait as I am flat out at work atm and kind of need the car. 

The car is a 2.0 TDI Octavia VRS 2014

Should be OK to use the car but worth checking:

1: Prior to your purchase, when was the car last serviced?

2: Who serviced it on that occasion?

3: Did you purchase car from Skoda or VW group garage? If not then does the receipt say what type of oil they used for your engine?

Could be as simple as they forgot to reset service indicator but then again if you purchased car from outside the VW group network, they may be telling fibs about changing the oil or perhaps used the cheapest stuff possible to keep price down.

Might be worth checking the oil level and condition - if the oil looks particularly dirty it might be worth another oil/filter change just to be on the safe side.

1 hour ago, Scout151 said:

Have a look in matenice menu and see how May days left to service

If it says service due now, then it will show 0 or how many days it's overdue. It won't tell OP anything he doesn't already know :blink:

Edited by ahenners

28 minutes ago, Scout151 said:

Would it not give you a idea they’re service interval is due because it was not reset .or whether it’s been triggers by oil quality sensor 

Unless the oil wasn't changed or dirty oil was put in, it shouldn't need another oil change after 5k miles. That's what the fixed regime is for, every year or just under 10k for low mileage usage.

It sounds like a service was done but the trip computer for service interval was not reset. The car won't tell anything useful as it thinks a service is due when it isn't. OP needs to establish whether the service was definitely carried out or not and take it from there.