New owner...finally. cam belt question.

I've finally bought a pre facelift petrol  vrs, I collect it mid week this coming week. I feel I've negotiated a decent deal, part of that includes  cam belt and water pump change, is there anyway I can check it's actually been done?? 

Looking forward to tinkering with it, my initial plan is a head unit upgrade to something more modern, pre cat delete and a full set of decent tires, eagle f1s likely.

8 minutes ago, JackRS1 said:

I've finally bought a pre facelift petrol  vrs, I collect it mid week this coming week. I feel I've negotiated a decent deal, part of that includes  cam belt and water pump change, is there anyway I can check it's actually been done?? 

Looking forward to tinkering with it, my initial plan is a head unit upgrade to something more modern, pre cat delete and a full set of decent tires, eagle f1s likely.

I've just been through the same thing and I marked the cam belt with a white paint pen. As for the water pump I just asked if I could see the old one that was taken out. I was Rather please because it all went smoothly.....I even got the receipt for the original Skoda parts that had been put in and the old cam belt "with paint mark on it" and the water pump that was rather sticky. It's  sad we have to do things like that but you have to cover yourself these days. 

8 minutes ago, metalstock87 said:

I've just been through the same thing and I marked the cam belt with a white paint pen. As for the water pump I just asked if I could see the old one that was taken out. I was Rather please because it all went smoothly.....I even got the receipt for the original Skoda parts that had been put in and the old cam belt "with paint mark on it" and the water pump that was rather sticky. It's  sad we have to do things like that but you have to cover yourself these days. 

If I'd had a pen with me I would have done, I guess a brand new belt with zero use should be easy enough to identify?? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JackRS1 said:

If I'd had a pen with me I would have done, I guess a brand new belt with zero use should be easy enough to identify?? 

Yeah, I suppose I was lucky to have the car in my possession. I would be asking for the old parts and a receipt/invoice for the new parts that have been fitted for future reference and selling on etc 

You should be able to spot its new But I would still want receipts and old parts. 

Always buy from a reputable dealer to ensure full customer satisfaction. 

Edited by metalstock87

It's a sign of the times I'm afraid the ( hopefully) trustworthy many being tarnish by the unscrupulous few

any way I'd ask that the seller kept the parts removed as soon as possible or it'll be " threw them in the skip mate if only you'd asked yesterday ! " 

and

all work and receipts of parts used to be included and logged on sales invoice for trackable reference 

• Like 2

Picked up today, very happy with it so far. The dealer gave me the old cambelt and waterpump in the new boxes along with the euro car parts invoice so am happy with that. So now its on to the tinkering and tweaking part! It does sound meatier than expected, I'm wondering if the previous owner did the precat delete already, or I just expected it to sound similar to my old mk1 which wasn't that exciting when it came to exhaust sound!

• Like 1