Alpine i902D-OC3 or X902D-OC3?

Is anyone using the Alpine stereo designed for the Golf/Octavia Mk3 range? Model numbers are i902D-OC3 (Non Sat Nav) or X902D-OC3 (Sat Nav).

I cant find reviews on them and after searching this forum all Ive found so far is they have a slight delay when buttons are pressed (Confirmed by YouTube videos Ive watched). Just wondered people's views and thoughts on them?

I like the original Amundsen as the music I have is on an SD Card instead of playing through my phone, but I want my sub and amp installed for that extra bit of bass.

I've don't have either however like you I've searched and searched for reviews.

Ultimately the main difference being that the more expensive unit comes with built in maps, the other uses smart Link via your phone's maps, which the more expensive unit also has.

A friend is in the business and is still in the process of persuading me to buy the unit (built in maps version). He has seen it in action and says it is superb given it links with cars oem functions/displays. The sound quality would be an improvement over most factory fitted stuff.

If you have canton you need an extra part in order for the alpine to talk to the amplifier. Given your fitting your own I'll assume you've not got canton.

• 3 months later...

Hello

Is there any other forum or review you found out to make a decision, i am stuck in between changing amundsen MIB2 6'5 to 8: inch screen or go for Alpine unit with understanding that it is a better sound processor and in future i can upgrade a decent set of speakers as well,

Any suggestions or comments from anyone will be really helpful

Thanks

-Amit/India

Skoda Octavia III MY17 pre-FL

Thanks for sharing information, i did read through specs of Alpine, and i also sent email to Alpine Europe, but no answer yet

Seems few minor issues, here is text copied from email

==============================================================

Dear Sir/Madam

I am interested in buying Alpine i902D-OC3 for skoda Octavia 3, but i have few technical queries so please help me

1. I see the spec says 50w high power amplifier, is this RMS or peak rating and will it work with existing speakers from skoda. If not what are best speakers from alpine suggested for this amplifier power/wattage
My current system from Skoda called Amundsen also mentions 50w peak and 20w rms and looks the speakers can take that power 

2. What file system is supported on USB or SD card slots, i see FAT32 only which means max capacity of SD or USB drive would be 32GB ? Or i can listen from a HDD much bigger, same for 64GB sd card which i have both

3. To install in my current setup i see Mib-woofer and tweeter are in parallel 4Ohms, and what i want to know is what is frequency range of signals supplied from Alpine on front and rear channels, especially to connect tweeter in parallel to mid bass. How do i provide a proper cross over signals for mid and tweeter
I am a DIY person hence asking directly
==================================================================================================
i Also realized that in terms of inputs it has only USB and does not have SD card for extra option to listen to music
In general i am interested to know how wiring diagram looks in front and rear for connecting speakers, and what frequency range Amundsen sends out in front and rear. 
Does it send out something like 80hz-20Khz( i am assuming on low side they might be not sneding full upto 20hz signals to protect mib woofer, or may be they do send 20-20khz but in lower range less db /power to mids). 
Is there a proper crossover somewhere built inside speakers. I do see a thread talking about tweeter having a cap of 6.8uF which typically means a crossover or high pass of around 6khz (based on link below- dont know exact impedance from 4ohm tweeter in ball park)
Which means mids handle quite a load and typically home application cross over much lower around 2.3-3khz
Further i read in the forum someone changed caps to 3.3uf so making a high pass of 12khz and was pleased with sound stage
Question - Can mid woofer really take full range signal without any band pass filter especially above 5-6khz ? 
How about tuning signals for proper range with same or different set of speakers and adding a sealed sub(or may be 2 subs below each front seats crossing with low pass of 80-100Hz and allow mids to handle properly above 100hz, and then tweeter take over at appropriate freq depending upon construction and freq response of speakers but i prefer around 3khz max as physics demand for 165mm mid it cannot move or produce a wavelength too high )
Any link, forum or thread , if anyone can point or provide is also very helpful

Lastly anyone researched external DSP like plug n play from Pioneer DEQ S1000 or sony XM-GS6DSP as cheap quick alternative to improve sound(using filters for high/low/band) and sound stage using dsp time alignment

With Regards,
-Amit Goel

• 1 year later...

Any owners of either Alpine system care to comment on if they are good or not?

Cost to update my non facelift MkIII to carplay using OEM is not far off the cost of one of these units but I assume these units are plug and play and dont require CP removal and coding etc?

• 2 years later...

Hi , 

I got the i902d-oc3 for my Octavia 2013 Mk3 and tried to set it up myself.

- quite easy to setup ( opening glove box can be tricky task )

-  after the completion - steering wheel controls are not working for me

- Parking sensor not visible in HU

- Climate settings not visible in HU

- car play works as expected - music works - maps show my car position in opposite direction of the selected route

- tried to update the firmware but .. no luck .. shows upting in the screen but jsut goes in to loop and version number does not change after completion 

for first few issues seems This could be something form my side in connections but i did it all as per the book.

Currently waiting on some expert advise before i can return it back 

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old topic now, but figured I would add my experience for anybody that may come across it in the future. 

I’ve got a 2014 Octavia with MIB1 Amundsen and Canton. 
I found someone selling an Alpine I902 on eBay for circa £350 about 18 months ago. Not wanting to miss out, I bought it straight away. 
I knew that I was going to have to get the Alpine adaptor for Canton, and figured it would just be a case of phoning a few suppliers and getting one. 

I couldn’t find a single audio stockist that had stock of the adaptor, Alpine couldn’t ship me one, everyone was telling me it had been discontinued. 

After a few weeks of searching I found a supplier in Germany who had them. I paid, then for whatever reason they couldn’t supply me with it in the UK. I then found another supplier in Germany who had one in hand and was genuinely the most helpful store. Within a few days it was with me. In total, including customs charges I paid about £270 for the adaptor. 

Wiring was easy. There is plenty of spare length once you factor in the adaptor, and fitting the screen was no problem. 
I’ve yet to buy a blank cover for inside the glovebox where the CD came from, but it doesn’t bother me, I never look in there. 

The unit itself is brilliant, the screen is a huge improvement over the Amundsen I replaced. I bought mine second hand, and I didn’t get two cables with it. Which meant I had to run my own iPhone USB out of the dash, rather than using the original USB port, but it’s not affected my use of it. The steering wheel controls work fine (but they are a bit slow to kick in through the adaptor when you first start the car - not a problem unless you frantically want to change the volume when you left it too loud). 

Overall, I would recommend the upgrade to anyone. I know you can update MIB1 to 2 or 2.5 with genuine kit, but I read that you need to change the Canton Amp too, before talking about component protection. 

Just beware that the Canton adaptor is a nightmare to find, so make sure you can get hold of one before buying the Alpine unit if you need one. 

• Like 1