Best rust converter ?

YS53

Hi

Last year I bought some Kurust to tackle a smallish rust patch on daughters car door.

It did not seem to be very effective and after reading the back of the tin I am not surprised (water based product)

So my question is - can we still buy any of the acid based rust converters or are they consigned to the ecological dusbin ?

From memory Jenolite had phosphoric acid as the active ingredient and some others had  tannic acid as the active ingredient.

Not only do I have to redo daughters car door (i20) before winter but the Fabia Tailgate is starting to show paint bubbling around the number plate recess.

@ penguin17

Thanks for the reply/link P17 but I would imagine that particular rust converter is water based which may not be that powerful.

@ P6bJOHN

Thanks for the reply/links John - yes thanks I was aware of the acid containers on ebay but did not know if they were 'jellyfied' or not ?

The old acid based rust converters were sometimes slightly jellyfied to make them easier to use on vertical surfaces,just plain acid could be a little 'runny' to use and also it needs to 'soak' on the rust for 10 - 15 mins to do a good job of converting rust to phosphate.

rgds YS

• Like 1

Ah, I wasn't aware you wanted a jelly consistency, I just use two or three coats if on a vertical surface. I've not experimented to make "sticky" version. I might do some experimenting on that idea this winter as I want to treat some rust in the winter lay up.

Thanks John - jelly stuff (to me) just seems a little easier and safer to use on vertical surfaces,I will use the  acid if I cannot find anything else.My partner vaguely knows somebody who runs a body shop and is going to ask him next week if he has any suitable stuff.

cheers/rgds YS

• 1 month later...

Dunno if you found something in the end, but Bilt Hamber's Deox Gel is very effective - more so than phosphoric acid (somewhat unsurprising, if you look at Bilt Hamber's company history - it involves marine products...).  It also has the advantage of not reacting with pain (from my understanding, it uses a chemical reaction to break the molecular bonds through electron exchange on the rust to remove it).  Just make sure to apply it thick, cover it with cling film, and leave it in place for as long as possible before removing it.  One overnight application left the suspension strut from my dad's 11 year old SAAB completely clean, in terms of rust.

P.S. The item Penguin17 linked you to was a "paint over the top" variant, which forms a hard crust that can be painted over, rather than a remover per se.

• Thanks 1

On 19/09/2018 at 08:10, martinch said:

Dunno if you found something in the end, but Bilt Hamber's Deox Gel is very effective - more so than phosphoric acid (somewhat unsurprising, if you look at Bilt Hamber's company history - it involves marine products...).  It also has the advantage of not reacting with pain (from my understanding, it uses a chemical reaction to break the molecular bonds through electron exchange on the rust to remove it).  Just make sure to apply it thick, cover it with cling film, and leave it in place for as long as possible before removing it.  One overnight application left the suspension strut from my dad's 11 year old SAAB completely clean, in terms of rust.

P.S. The item Penguin17 linked you to was a "paint over the top" variant, which forms a hard crust that can be painted over, rather than a remover per se.

Sorry late reply Martin - we were on holiday :)

Many thanks for the tip - I will certainly look into that as I will have to try and complete the work before winter,trouble is - other stuff keeps piling up LOL

rgds YS

On 23/09/2018 at 22:44, YS53 said:

Sorry late reply Martin - we were on holiday :)

No worries - it's a good time of the year to do that! :)

On 23/09/2018 at 22:44, YS53 said:

Many thanks for the tip - I will certainly look into that as I will have to try and complete the work before winter,trouble is - other stuff keeps piling up LOL

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I've just given mine a go-over for the winter (clean, check for stone chips & spray the underside of the sills with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC to protect against chips during the winter, and seal any really small holes) ... I originally meant to get it done over the August bank holiday!  If you do use the Deox Gel, I would say to have a look at the instructions on their site, and follow them (they're different to the ones on the bottle, for some reason, and seem to give better results).  

On 21/09/2018 at 08:35, cheezemonkhai said:

Kurust was always pretty good for me.

Yes I always used to use it - but it was acid based in those days and worked really well.

I am not keen on many of todays water based products LOL

43 minutes ago, martinch said:

No worries - it's a good time of the year to do that! :)

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I've just given mine a go-over for the winter (clean, check for stone chips & spray the underside of the sills with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC to protect against chips during the winter, and seal any really small holes) ... I originally meant to get it done over the August bank holiday!  If you do use the Deox Gel, I would say to have a look at the instructions on their site, and follow them (they're different to the ones on the bottle, for some reason, and seem to give better results).  

OK many thanks again Martin I will do that :biggrin: