Fabia Mk3 DQ200 clunk

sfnj3

Hi everyone,

I kindly ask for your opinion on a sound (clunk) I've been hearing on my Fabia Mk3 since new (bought June 2018).

It happens during gear changes while stationary and occasionally during downshifting coming to a stop.

Please refer to the following audio file (engaging R and D).

https://vocaroo.com/i/s05j8Bu4yIz5

Has anyone experienced this? Is it considered normal behavior being a dry clutch gearbox? The car's done 5500 km. 

Thank you.

Edited by sfnj3

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Welcome.

Not normal, not a characteristic, not as designed by VW Group engineers to have a clunk.

Have a Dealership have a Master Tech investigate as soon as possible on such a new car.

Thanks for the reply.

I have already taken the car to the dealership and they insisted that this is normal behavior but I am certain that it can't be.

What other options would you suggest? I was thinking to try comparing it to a demo car. 

11 minutes ago, Offski said:

Exactly what you need to do.

Also ask the Dealer Principal to go drive your car and see if they agree with their Master Tech that everything is perfectly OK with your new car.

?

What country are you in?

Cyprus.

The head of the dealership test drove the car and found nothing wrong with it. In fact he insisted that the car was functioning normally.

I booked a second appointment with the garage for early September.

I worry that I will be stuck with a lemon as the dealership refuses to take it back and issue a refund.

Hi sfnj3, 

It's actually quite difficult to tell if the noise is normal or not from your sound file. The noise I am hearing is one I've heard before on the DSG box and it was quite normal, although yours may be louder. So, how did you record the file? Were you inside the car or outside? Was the car in a confined space ie: inside your garage, up against a wall or in a walled arear in your driveway? Those things will have influenced how loud your noise appears in your sound file. 

Further questions: does the car drive quite normally with smooth gearchanges? Does the car hesitate moving off and going between first and second gear? Is there any undue delay going from drive to reverse? And one final thing, is the noise worse when hot or cold or no different?

Given your dealer has tested the car and given it the all clear, it's highly likely the noise is just normal. The noise you refer to is not uncommon in my book and even my first Mk3 Fabia made a noise that was similar but low level. 

Please come back with some further information.

1 hour ago, Estate Man said:

Hi sfnj3, 

It's actually quite difficult to tell if the noise is normal or not from your sound file. The noise I am hearing is one I've heard before on the DSG box and it was quite normal, although yours may be louder. So, how did you record the file? Were you inside the car or outside? Was the car in a confined space ie: inside your garage, up against a wall or in a walled arear in your driveway? Those things will have influenced how loud your noise appears in your sound file. 

Further questions: does the car drive quite normally with smooth gearchanges? Does the car hesitate moving off and going between first and second gear? Is there any undue delay going from drive to reverse? And one final thing, is the noise worse when hot or cold or no different?

Given your dealer has tested the car and given it the all clear, it's highly likely the noise is just normal. The noise you refer to is not uncommon in my book and even my first Mk3 Fabia made a noise that was similar but low level. 

Please come back with some further information.

Hi Estate man,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

I recorded the clunking noise while in my garage with the windows down after a 30-min drive on a hot day. So yes the noise is slightly amplified but it is always present even with the windows up.

The sound happens after half sec or so delay after engaging the gear.

This video shows exactly what I am experiencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DizQe-5-4xA

Downshifting is also accompanied by the clunking noise (particularly between 2nd to 1st) and it's often times jerky, especially when the air con is on. 

The noise is generally worse when the engine is warmed up and especially when the air con is on. But as I mentioned it is always present.

I would be interested to hear your experience and whether you have managed to fix it.

Thanks.

Edited by sfnj3

Offski, my first MK3 dsg made the noise as did my second car. But maybe not so loud as the op's. Nothing wrong with the clutch on my first one, and my second one made the noise even after the clutch was replaced, again not very loudly (is that a word?). It's not too uncommon to hear this noise but not all make it.

Engine went in your first Mk3,  DSG in your 2nd that they gave as a replacement.

This is why people ask about noises, ask at dealerships.

Obviously only small numbers are lemons, but if you have one then that is your 100% Lemon.   

Hard to hear maybe, only some, but panning off every customer as 'That is how they are',  is the problem and why people end up asking on Social Media.

Hello i think i am hearing a similar noise on my 2016 mkIII estate. I bought it 2 weeks ago with 33k km, but ive only started to hear the noise the last couple of days when ive been driving with the windows down. The gear change itself seems very smooth to me, no juddering or jumping, its purely the noise that has got me worried. 

I only notice it when changing from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. Mine is a 5 speed manual and i am the first to admit that i'm not the best driver in the world, so my first thought was that maybe it was down to my shifting technique. However i never noticed anything remotely similar with my Hyundai i20, and hearing your recording in the original post has got me a bit worried! 

Estate Man if you're right and its nothing to worry about i'll be happy enough - the noise itself doesnt bother me, just as long as its not a sign that something is not as it should be and i get problems further down the line as a result!

sfnj3 i would be very interested to hear how it turns out for you - good luck and please keep us updated!

Edited by Gondo

No problem Gondo. DSG is Dual Shift Gearbox (also known by other manufacturers as DCT...dual clutch transmission). 

sfnjp, regarding your noise, it's normally the mechatronic unit that makes noises, but the clutch packs can also indeed make noise. In exxtreme cases the gearbox gear shafts make noise but they usually make one heck of a noise when they are going wrong and that's pretty unusual.  There is a noise limit that is allowed by VAG after which they would want to change a unit. 

Edited by Estate Man