Belt Kit replacement?

So i have a strange one. I left the 2014 vRS (TDI) in for a belt kit replacement which includes the water pump. I believe the recommended replacement is between 60 and 80K miles, im on 65K. The kit was ordered from the engine code but came back that the pump fitted to my 2014 is a 2018 part? :blink: 

The guy fitting is an audi engineer 15 years exp and called his pal who works for Stewarts in belfast, (one of the biggest skoda service centers in ireland) because the pump was from a newer 2018 model although it had never been changed from new. Its electronic and requires software to recharge the system and usually has to be done at the skoda dealer as not many independents have it. He couldnt understand why a 2014 model has the newer 2018 pump? the Skoda tech told him that in some cases these were fitted to earlier models to 'test' before going into production! anyone ever heard of that?

Built in 2014 so it has a Water Pump built in 2014 unless someone went back to the Future.

The new 2018 pump might well be the same as that 2014 pump.

VW must have been trying at some point to Upgrade / Improve / Make the changes required as the water pumps they were fitting were not fit for purpose.

Surely one of the biggest service centres in Ireland sees many of this type of thing.

When they say 2018-pump do they mean 2015 pump which is still the same that is fitted on the latest engines today??

Or was there a new pump design released for 2018 MY cars?

Its the one with the electronically controlled sleave to adjust water flow I guess?

1 minute ago, Gabbo said:

When they say 2018-pump do they mean 2015 pump which is still the same that is fitted on the latest engines today??

Or was there a new pump design released for 2018 MY cars?

Its the one with the electronically controlled sleave to adjust water flow I guess?

no idea thats why i was asking, so its a late 2014 /15 must be the reason. when he orderd the pump it was the wrong one.

My guess is that the new metal sleaved waterpump was introduced around 2015 but judging my the numbers of replacements I dont think there was an immediate cutoff of the old part (I guess they used up the existing stock they had whilst introducing the new part) so it was a lottery for early 2015 cars which pump they got.

I would hope though in 2018 that its not possible to order the 2014 part with the plastic sleave anymore given they know it has a high probability of failure after 30-50k miles. :doh:

At least you know you have the latest version.... :thumbup: