Looking for bike carrier recommendations

In all my years of driving I've no experience of carrying bicycles,  I'm contemplating carrying 3 adult bicycles without a lot of messing around (mounting something difficult!) - I want them on the back of the car not on a roof rack, I also want to be certain of buying the correct carrier without having to worry about adaptors etc.  A search online for carriers reveals that it is possible to spend anything between £20+ -£400+ on cycle carriers - at £400 its almost cheaper to buy bikes at the destination, at £20 I have to wonder if they are any good!!  I've got a MKIII Octavia Estate and it has a detachable tow bar that can be fitted (I use it sometimes for towing my small camping trailer) - I wondered if there was a Skoda approved recommendation or maybe someone might have some recommendations for me based on their own experiences (or what to avoid!)

Thanks for the link just music.  Well it looks like the buzz rack quattro has been discontinued the Altera is an arm and leg to buy, and even something calling itself a Maxxrack looks out of stock on the roofbox website - sure signs I'm looking for something at the end of a hot outdoorsey summer

I'd give The Roof Box Company a call. They seem to know what they're talking about so may be able to give some advice on alternatives, and if anything is going to replace the Quattro.

8 hours ago, just music said:

I'd give The Roof Box Company a call. They seem to know what they're talking about so may be able to give some advice on alternatives, and if anything is going to replace the Quattro.

Good shout. They really are helpful and knowledgeable. 

I have the 4 bike buzzrack buzzwing  and am very impressed with it. I think they do a 3 bike one but as others are saying, ring the roofbox mob. 

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?37594&gclid=CjwKCAjw5ZPcBRBkEiwA-avvk7sQrSB6yFqRZbXiA3fI0BLNEAf1L-hCpLOk0vl96rKAGCXr9wR7ZBoCDcAQAvD_BwE

Factor in how secure is it when out riding. I always put the carrier in the car or lock the handle with a D-lock to stop it wandering off.

I would avoid cheaper towball coat hanger types and rear hatch mount stuff if you worry when it comes to rubs and scratches on the car and bikes. There's a lot of jiggling and fretting back there when driving about loaded whichever option you pick, plus you still need a light and No. plate board to be fully road legal. (If theres so much as a blade of grass fretting against paint, I shudder and freak!)

Towball platform carriers keep everything separate and 'mostly' damage free when set up properly. You are paying for the Engineering thats gone into them to prevent loss or damage when zinging up the M6 to the lakes as well as ease of use. And you can see the bikes in the mirrors for added peace of mind. If you come to sell it, you will get most of your money back esp in Spring time/Easter.

Roof mounted gear is more than adequate for bike carrying plus you will always have roof bars for those loads that even an Octy can't swallow! A good option for occasional use. Top end carriers can be had for around £50- £60 each new and second hand if you are lucky.

Have a look at second hand stuff. You will find a few end of season bargains during Autumn and Winter if you are keen enough!