Roomster blower fan noise

dadof2

Hi all

My right hand drive 2008 Skoda Roomster internal fan is making a noise. That noise gets louder when you set the AC to recirculate.

I made this little video (noise starts at 7 seconds in)

My local garage (normal garage not Skoda garage) first cleaned out some debris by hands up from underneath into the fan. This didn't solve it. Turning with his hands suggested that the bearings in the fan had gone / going which is why its making that grinding sound.

They've bought a replacement fan and thought it would be a quick 30 min job. Upon exploring further and trying to get the bodywork off the dash, its proving to be a lot more complicated and could take a few hours. Obviously that makes it an expensive repair, so I'm trying to find some guidance online that would help speed up the process.

I found this Fabia video but left hand drive, and its very shaky footage. It shows the person taking the whole dash off, steering wheel, buttons etc

Seems massively overkill?

Has anyone done this and could make any recommendations?

Thanks

Guest Roomyster

Hi I don't have a solution but do have the same problem so hope you get some advice, oh does your fan blow much faster when you go into reverse too

3 hours ago, Roomyster said:

...oh does your fan blow much faster when you go into reverse too

This is the system automatically switching to recirculation mode. 

It does this to avoid the possibility of the system taking in exhaust fumes while reversing.

Guest Roomyster
18 hours ago, Robjon said:

This is the system automatically switching to recirculation mode. 

It does this to avoid the possibility of the system taking in exhaust fumes while reversing.

Thanks, I always wondered and never got a google answer.

i changed the pollen filter and it has helped a bit, suppose it's lowered the pressure so less strain on the fan, but I still get it randomly.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought the workshop manuals from erWin for this car, to replace the fresh air blower it says step 1 remove the dash panel. Body work guide says you need to remove the steering wheel and the whole dash, removing radio, unconnecting loads of electrics too. This seems nuts!

How can I tell if the blower needs replacing or if there is something just stuck in there without removing the lot?

Thanks

Guest Roomyster

Seems a lot but can't see how else you'd get to it. Have you tried turning the radio up? Solves loads of issues with my car

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes the workshop manual doesn’t help, had the fault with fan resister (so would only work on full 4, not the lower speeds), the official way was to faff around removing parts of dashboard, but found a You tube video,  in via glovebox, pop up passenger airbag unit, change resistor module, all done in under 15 minutes.

But maybe fan unit is much harder to get to

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful, glad/sad to see I'm not the only one.
My Scout has a similar issue, Went yesterday at Skoda and they quoted about 1000£ for the blower (part and labor). I'm in Norway mind you and service here is expensive, very much so...

It started a few months ago when the ventilation was giving out a mild screeching sound when I was taking right turns, eerie.

There's been some below zero temperatures the past few weeks while the car has been dormant. Needed it for a spin couple days back and surprise, no ventilation... and a great workout deicing. Looking around I found the resistor thread/video and thought let's give that a go (part will arrive next week so I'll update then).

Now, Skoda said the the blower is to blame but yesterday after a bit of driving around it turned on magically!

Is there anyone that has an idea about this, maybe the filter, bearing or were just the circuits frozen, condensation that blocked the fan maybe?

Edited by voltaire

Oh! Great. When ambient temperature is below 6C my blower brings me a high pitched wooo sound when set on fan speed 2. That sound goes up following the engine's revs. Setting fan to 1 stops.

This is ridiculous. Since 2010 I bought the car that sound occured in fan speed 1. This year occures in fan speed 2. No dealer managed to find out what the heck is that. Beyond that, the climate system works as should.

Edited by stratosg