Help! I just can't decide...

tom86

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker. I've gone cross eyed scrolling through auto-trader for weeks, my friends and family won't talk to me about it any more, and I just can't decide what car to buy. However I've managed to narrow it down to three cars, two Skoda's and a BMW.

I've always fancied a Skoda as I've driven Octavias and Rapids through work. As a VW owner they felt quite intuitive and were enjoyable to drive, but I'm not going to lie - the BMW is very appealing. I need a family car with decent load space, I live on a busyish road with on street parking, generally do between 5 - 10k, mostly London driving and a few weekend motorway trips.

Any opinions welcome, full main dealer services on the lot:

1. Octavia 13 1.2 TSi S - 70,000 - belt changed with 12 month MOT - £6250

2. 3 Series 11 2.0 318i Sport Plus Touring - 139,000 - £5950

3. Superb 13 2.0 TDI CR DPF SE 4x4 - 110,000 - £5950

Hopefully will buy one this weekend!

Edited by tom86

BMW.

Why have a basic Octavia, at least it is basic and petrol though, so cheap fixes / servicing,

or a Superb that might have had the Emissions Fix, and the Haldex not serviced?

If checking out the Superb be sure you know the Service History, invoices showing everything done. 

Why a Diesel & a 4x4 Diesel for London?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah you're right about the Superb.

The BMW defintely has my heart, but I do worry about the maintenance, which is why the Octavia appeals so much. Annoyingly the dealers are miles apart so I can't check them both out!

The BMW has twice the miles, 2 yrs older, in well and truly shagged zone for a ridiculous price? Any problems you are talking BMW repair prices, which are in a different universe to Skoda.

So Skoda Octavia is the sensible choice especially as its had a cambelt. Not so sensible if its an auto. 1.2tsi cambelt engine is nice with few known stock problems (don't quote me on that). Octavia parts mostly easy to source cheaply and car is easy to service and maintain.

Check you can afford it, remember insurance and road tax you will pay up front.

If going for finance, bank loan is probably much cheaper than dealer/garage offered finance.

GET SOMEONE KNOWLEDGEABLE TO CHECK IT THOROUGHLY OVER BEFORE BUYING. MAYBE PAY FOR AN AA/RAC TYPE INSPECTION.

Don't forget to check bodywork for signs of accident damage. Ask if has ever been in an accident or had bodywork and other repairs. Write down the answers in your notepad. Just in case they turn out to be a lie later on. Ask about previous owners. etc etc make notes.... Check tyres, brakes, are they worn and soon need changing? Check all lights, radio, wipers, washers, gizmos work

Take it for a meaningful long test drive, look and listen for anything not quite right. Examine service history, ask for receipts as stamps anyone can forge. Any gaps/anomalies question, use to negotiate down or if serious, walk away.

Negotiate, don't just pay the asking price. A little bit of research to establish what its really worth.

I would really recommend you then go away and think/sleep on it/consider carefully for 48 hours. Too many used cars bought on impulse and regretted later. Remember its a pretty basic car.

Get warranty clearly in writing if from garage / trader. Read and understand the small print

Don't blame me if it goes wrong.

Btw those prices still look ridiculous. Hope at that price its from an Official Skoda dealer. Private should be much much cheaper.

Edited by xman

• 1 month later...