SOS error call workshop

MesaSunrise

Hi all!

Intermittently we would get the warning on dash saying “SOS Error -Call workshop”. The screen will also not turn on during this time. This warning goes away when we switch off the car for a period of time after driving. 

Besides a yellow warning triangle on the dash and screen not turning on there are no other symptoms. We have not driven the car much lately so I suspect it could be down to low battery, and will get a battery conditioner to see if it helps. 

Is the battery in the Skoda an AGM battery? Any good recommendations for quick battery charger?

Also does anyone else has this issue? Seems intermittent and does not affect how the car drives. 

• Thanks 1

I'm currently suffering this in my Karoq. It went in for investigation about 6 weks ago and I had a sofware update. Only used the car once until we went to Austria and back. the alarm went off over 20 times in 14 days including about 6 times on the last day. The issue is that although it usually resets on stopping and restarting, sometimes it faults again immediately. We drove over 350 miles yesterday with no SOS system working, so if we had had a crash, ...... 

BTW, we get a triangle and SOS up on the dash (digital dash) and the telltale light on the overhead button goes from green to red.

• Thanks 1

I had a similar sounding problem last year with my car.  It is a software problem that causes the SOS system to fail.  You are getting the warning as you're effectively driving without the SOS system functioning.  My car was taken in to do a software update which cured the problem.  Audi have a similar problem as my son's girlfriends A3 had the same thing with her car.

Yes, it's very common.  Our 2017 car was doing exactly the same thing.  The e-Call (that's the generic nae for these devices, which are a legal requirement for manufacturers to fit, these days) module was replaced, with Skoda paying parts and us paying labour.  It worked for several months, but now it randomly goes off again.  They're a dreadful system!

I'm told you can re-set it by pressing and holding the emergency call button for 30 seconds.  I haven't tried it though, as it tends to re-set itself after a while anyway.

9 hours ago, Avocet said:

Yes, it's very common.  Our 2017 car was doing exactly the same thing.  The e-Call (that's the generic nae for these devices, which are a legal requirement for manufacturers to fit, these days) module was replaced, with Skoda paying parts and us paying labour.  It worked for several months, but now it randomly goes off again.  They're a dreadful system!

I'm told you can re-set it by pressing and holding the emergency call button for 30 seconds.  I haven't tried it though, as it tends to re-set itself after a while anyway.

Mine doesn't reset itself, you have to stop the engine and wait abot 30 seconds for the system to power down. Even then, occasionally the fault immediately recurs. It has already been in for an update which obviously didn't cure it. Part of the issue is that no faults are logged on the system, but last time one related fault was recorded which didn't fault to in the car. So off to the dealer agin in the next couple of days. 

Edited by Routemaster1461

So 've been to the dealer. Part one is the update I've already had and part two is a replacement control unit. Unit on order and should be fitted 17th October.

Note: although this is the Kodiaq forum this applies to mu Karoq. It may also be true of other types. I'm nt sure whether there is somewhere on the forum where cross=type issues can be discussed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/10/2023 at 08:58, Routemaster1461 said:

Mine doesn't reset itself, you have to stop the engine and wait abot 30 seconds for the system to power down. Even then, occasionally the fault immediately recurs. It has already been in for an update which obviously didn't cure it. Part of the issue is that no faults are logged on the system, but last time one related fault was recorded which didn't fault to in the car. So off to the dealer agin in the next couple of days. 

That's interesting.  We'll be driving along, happily and then all of a sudden, we'll get the warning noise and a message telling us there's a fault in the e-call system and to contact a dealer.  At the same time, the e-call light in the roof console turns red and we get a yellow warning triangle on the instrument display.  Often, 5 miles or so later (and without doing anything with the e-call button or even stopping the car), the e-call light goes green again, and the dashboard warning triangle disappears!

Mine would never reset itself, so I had to drive from Surry to Folkestone along the M25, M26 and M20 without a working system. It went in on 17th for a new control unit, more software updates and a second new aerial (don't know whether it replaced the first replacement), all according to the service receptionist. Ran it 200 miles on Saturday with no issues.