Oh Alfa....

Lady Elanore

So we have (until a month ago) the M3, a car with great track handling (although a total lack of traction sometimes :D ), fantastic front end grip and is properly quick, then the C63 came along and addressed the M3's major shortcoming, the sound. V8 sounding like an angry God and all the usual tailsliding nonsense, even more power :) and all was good. 'Why cant we have both those cars good bits put into one shell' people were heard to ask and Alfa listened. The Quatrofomagio was born! It's appearance was better than both the other none-cheese based cars, a Ferrari derived engine that produced not only loads of power but sounded, well, pretty awesome really. It handled too :) It seemed to be a gift from above...

..then I started to read reports of reliability problems, the latest being Car and Drivers tester (linky here) and all that good work seems to be being undone. Perhaps it's asking a bit much from a marque whose cars, until recently, had become nothing more than upmarket Fiats, to be able to produce and service a cut price Ferrari :( I love Fiats, Lancias and Alfas, but you have to worry if it isn't all going to go South in the next couple of years when the surveys are in. I really have read several magazine reports of faults of a not too insignificant kind on their test Alfas. I can't afford a Ferrari or a Lamborghini so please Alfa sort it out (I can't actually afford a Quatrofomagio with V6 toppings either, but it is a bit nearer to my budget). 

Oh Alfa :( 

Edited by Lady Elanore

I saw that about half an hour ago. I thought the M3 did pretty well as it's usually rubbish at drag races (I can get wheelspin up to 100mph on a private smooth road, in the dry!) it did look like it hooked up pretty well and was gaining at the end, but the look on the owners face was priceless :D 

Yep. I'd love an Alfa but I'd only buy one with someone else's money.

I was doing some digging on the alfa quadrifoglio and saw the same things, a plague of faults.

Same old Alfa. I can remember looking at Alfa with my Dad 25 years ago and all the showroom cars had the guts of the dashboards hanging out or parts missing. We just thought if the showroom cars were in this state, how bad were the cars on the road?!

If I'm going to drop £50k on an unreliable car sorry Alfa but I'm going to buy an Aston Martin (and GF's uncle has a Vantage and says it's actually been really reliable).

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 2

I will never forgive Fiat for what they did to Lancia (I prefer Lancia to Alfa). If I had £60k in my account and was paying cash, I think I'd look at a second hand 911 or a C63S. £50k would be an M3 (if they still made them :( ) 

6 hours ago, Aspman said:

Yep. I'd love an Alfa but I'd only buy one with someone else's money.

I was doing some digging on the alfa quadrifoglio and saw the same things, a plague of faults.

Same old Alfa. I can remember looking at Alfa with my Dad 25 years ago and all the showroom cars had the guts of the dashboards hanging out or parts missing. We just thought if the showroom cars were in this state, how bad were the cars on the road?!

If I'm going to drop £50k on an unreliable car sorry Alfa but I'm going to buy an Aston Martin (and GF's uncle has a Vantage and says it's actually been really reliable).

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/results/list.ipl?cid=3#

Edited by vrskeith

22 hours ago, vrskeith said:

All I get in an error. Is that a Freudian thing for Porsche?

Porsche doesn't get my juices flowing like an Aston. Thought I must admit a Green Turbo would fit with a childhood toy car,

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

All I get in an error. Is that a Freudian thing for Porsche?

Porsche doesn't get my juices flowing like an Aston. Thought I must admit a Green Turbo would fit with a childhood toy car,

Edited by vrskeith

2 hours ago, stever750 said:

I'd have the alfa in a flash, but then the first two cars I had in my first 4 years of driving were two 'suds. Reliability is so yesterday. 

On 28/09/2018 at 19:59, stever750 said:

I'd have the alfa in a flash, but then the first two cars I had in my first 4 years of driving were two 'suds. Reliability is so yesterday. 

I came close to buying a Sud when younger, but the Lancia Beta Coupe stole my heart (and my purse so it seemed!) 

The Alfa Sprint was my dream car when I was very young :) 

And this was the first, just graduated started my first job and the first thing I did was take out a bank loan and bought this. 1.5 gold cloverleaf. 4 years old and already rotten underneath and sadly only last a year, but boy what an affair it was. This would have been December 1988. 

FB_IMG_1538375145976.jpg

• Like 2