S3 280 or Kia Stinger GTS ?

dunc69

48 minutes ago, Offski said:

?

How about not remapping the Octavia so saving £400 and just hold on and get a good sporty car with AWD and go & not the size of a whale?

Or do you need a big car?

Need a big car. 2 kids, bikes, holidays etc. 

Quite like a comfortable cruiser too, but with a turn of pace if i fancy it. Also keen on modern tech / toys. 

Have done the sports car thing - has a TVR Chimaera for 3 years. Brilliant, but not too practical!! 

2 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Need a big car. 2 kids, bikes, holidays etc. 

Quite like a comfortable cruiser too, but with a turn of pace if i fancy it. Also keen on modern tech / toys. 

Have done the sports car thing - has a TVR Chimaera for 3 years. Brilliant, but not too practical!! 

More practical than my 1990 Toyota MR2 GT. Still room for a golf bag in the tiny boot though.B)

I've recently upgraded from an Octy vRS DSG 220 to a Superb 280. 

Never looked back since. The Superb build quality and drive experience is way above the Octavia. Not as nimble (my vRS had Eibach springs) but th3 Superb is a much nicer drive overall and way faster, especially the extra grip with 4x4. 

The interior and extra tech makes it worth the upgrade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brooksuk said:

I've recently upgraded from an Octy vRS DSG 220 to a Superb 280. 

Never looked back since. The Superb build quality and drive experience is way above the Octavia. Not as nimble (my vRS had Eibach springs) but th3 Superb is a much nicer drive overall and way faster, especially the extra grip with 4x4. 

The interior and extra tech makes it worth the upgrade.

Thanks, useful and good to know.  Cheers.  

Just been on Autotrader and there are several Superb 280s that tick a lot of my boxes.  Would love one and the S3 280 was always going to be my next car.  

But then I had another (yet another!) look at Stingers.  Look at this!  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808309983685?atmobcid=soc3

How tempting is that? (large amounts of cash needed aside!)

16 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Just been on Autotrader and there are several Superb 280s that tick a lot of my boxes.  Would love one and the S3 280 was always going to be my next car.  

But then I had another (yet another!) look at Stingers.  Look at this!  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808309983685?atmobcid=soc3

How tempting is that? (large amounts of cash needed aside!)

Sorry going to be brutally honest but way too much money and the wrong colour, that's why it's still for sale.:notme:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Sorry going to be brutally honest but way too much money and the wrong colour, that's why it's still for sale.:notme:

Price-wise you are right - £28k max for me, and I think the prices will fall.  Especially when very well specced 2017 S3 280s are low twenties now. 

Colour-wise, these are tricky.  Exterior colours and interior colours are linked.  You don't have multiple options.  

I can't do the primer grey, black isn't for me (sorry), and it therefore has to be either red on light grey / cream leather, or dark grey on red leather. The red leather won't please Mrs Dunc, but I do rather like it - it's different and will mark up less than the light leather.  

Each to their own old boy! 

7 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Price-wise you are right - £28k max for me, and I think the prices will fall.  Especially when very well specced 2017 S3 280s are low twenties now. 

Colour-wise, these are tricky.  Exterior colours and interior colours are linked.  You don't have multiple options.  

I can't do the primer grey, black isn't for me (sorry), and it therefore has to be either red on light grey / cream leather, or dark grey on red leather. The red leather won't please Mrs Dunc, but I do rather like it - it's different and will mark up less than the light leather.  

Each to their own old boy! 

No kids for me so would go Red with Cream leather interior.:inlove:

15 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

No kids for me so would go Red with Cream leather interior.:inlove:

Agree, very, very nice. I had a look at a red one in the flesh two weeks ago at Wessex Kia in Bristol and the red is gorgeous in the flesh. 

You know that Nissan / Renault red that looks really deep and shiny? It’s exactly like that. 

• Like 1

Get a spin in the Stinger, its well worth a drive. I was very sceptical at first but they drive far better than the Superb. They took a lot of engineers and designers from BMW and it certainly shines through on the handling. Interior plastics are better quality ( I personally think the Piano Black parts of the Superb Sportline  are disgracefully bad quality). 

Try the Stinger, Im gonna go for one next. For a fun drivers car, RWD is your friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Demonstrators have almost certainly been driven hard, but is that a bad thing? That’s a whole debate on its own, as is the necessity to run in modern engines. 

Superb's manual say that you shouldn't trash it the first 1000km or similar. Pretty sure Stingers ain't different. And how would you know how a car drives if you don't floor it a bit?

Anyway ... in my country virtually all demo cars are diesel for some reason. Funny thing - diesels like short trips the least :)

I would rather look at hyundai azera(which is also called grandeur in other markets) Much more luxurous and spacesios than the stinger. 

10 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

YES Superb 280 Sportline in DRAGON, YUMMY.:clap:

Better to get a reaction when arriving somewhere than to be completely ignored (invisible). Imagine you are Brad Pitt and you walk into a room full of people and no-one wants to talk to you, this is the SLEEPER EFFECT. At least the Stinger GT-S makes a statement whether you like it or not.:blink:

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Better to get a reaction when arriving somewhere than to be completely ignored (invisible). Imagine you are Brad Pitt and you walk into a room full of people and no-one wants to talk to you, this is the SLEEPER EFFECT. At least the Stinger GT-S makes a statement whether you like it or not.:blink:

I don’t have to imagine I’m Brad Pitt for me to walk into a room and be ignored. 

Though I’m sure if Mr Pitt was to wear his Briskoda Freedom Member pin badge, he’d be the centre of attention. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I don’t have to imagine I’m Brad Pitt for me to walk into a room and be ignored. 

Though I’m sure if Mr Pitt was to wear his Briskoda Freedom Member pin badge, he’d be the centre of attention. 

Ask yourself why so many VRS220 and VRSTdi drivers end up buying 19" Extremes for their cars. It's  not because they are a great looking wheel (I have already replaced mine) it's because they want to make their cars look like a 230 or 245 ie. a better car than their's in the same way a diesel Stinger owner would fit GT-S alloys.:D

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Ask yourself why so many VRS220 and VRSTdi drivers end up buying 19" Extremes for their cars. It's  not because they are a great looking wheel (I have already replaced mine) it's because they want to make their cars look like a 230 or 245 ie. a better car than their's in the same way a diesel Stinger owner would fit GT-S alloys.:D

Good point.

Out of interest, what make / model wheel did you buy as replacements for the Tonka Toy wheels?

DC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, old newbie2 said:

Good point.

Out of interest, what make / model wheel did you buy as replacements for the Tonka Toy wheels?

DC

Audi RS6 replicas 8.5J x 19" with Michelin PS4 S tyres in 235/35R19 size. ET45 offset. Pictures on 245 owners section. Great tyre much better than the original P Zeroes.:biggrin:

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

This could be an age thing, I'm ancient & don't want to be noticed, especially by boy-racers &/or plod.

I like to drive a nippy car that's ignored by the general public & the ancient but slightly tweaked Superb works well for me, as does SWMBO's Grey Golf R Wagon, (when I'm allowed to drive it........).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Audi RS6 replicas 8.5J x 19" with Michelin PS4 S tyres in 235/35R19 size. ET45 offset. Pictures on 245 owners section. Great tyre much better than the original P Zeroes.:biggrin:

The same size as my Golf, which is still on it's OEM Conti Sport-Contact 5's. They're horribly noisy, seem to have enough grip even it the wet but if they wear-out whilst I still have the car, I'll probably go for the PS4 S.

DC