Loose gear stick after something snapped

Minjukas

So today I was leaving car park went to put in 1st gear and something snapped, sounded like plastic and after that the gear stick felt way looser that it was before. Any idea what it could be? Can select gears just fine.

Does the gearstick still spring towards 3rd and 4th? I'm wondering if the bias spring has snapped. You can pull the gaiter off the console and have a peek.

fabia-mk1-1954.png

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Does the gearstick still spring towards 3rd and 4th? I'm wondering if the bias spring has snapped. You can pull the gaiter off the console and have a peek.

fabia-mk1-1954.png

I took a look at it earlier today and saw that the spring just above B was broken. I checked the bolts and there were no way to unscrew them. Anyway to change it? And what is it even called?

received_500168443795686.jpeg

Skoda call it ''pressure spring''. I looked up the part number for a 2003 car and it is 357711145C but might be different for other years.

I have never done one but I suspect that the selector mechanism might have to be removed by dropping the exhaust as it's bolted from underneath. Or maybe it can be done with just the console removed, not totally sure.

Edited by TMB

Here's a video of a VW shifter which looks very much the same. At about 2:15 he takes the plate off that covers the spring. He says it's a T25 Torx screw. Looks like there may also be a bigger screw under that one that holds the spring. Not a Fabia shifter but I presume it may be the same...

Edited by TMB

I've done this on an MK1 Octavia...all from inside the cabin...

The spring is on a rod which can be pushed to the left if you undo the clip on the end of the rod which sticks out on the right side...best to remove the centre console...

there are plastic top hat style bushes etc which break & need replacing etc..& use good grease to lube it all...

I ended up undoing the TX screw on the left side also insitu & did it back up insitu which was a PITA...the TX screw will round as its soft metal & the TX part is rubbish...I ust followed the Haynes manual on the car...mind you its pretty self evident if you are mechanically minded..no tricks other than what I have stated...

Just went out and looked at mine - it's definitey got a Torx screw in the left side and looks like some kind of clip on the other side (part number N90815903).

Edited by TMB

Just now, TMB said:

Just went out and looked at mine - it's definitey got a Torx screw in the left side and looks like some kind of clip on the other side.

Ahh i must have missed it then, will sort it out when i get the springs delivered, and for now will have to deal with it. Thanks for the reply 

• 4 years later...
On 14/10/2018 at 20:11, Minjukas said:

I took a look at it earlier today and saw that the spring just above B was broken. I checked the bolts and there were no way to unscrew them. Anyway to change it? And what is it even called?

Hi Mate, if you look through my previous posts regarding this same problem, you should find out how to repair. It's not a hard job, but you will need hand power drill, pillar drill, tap, suitable replacement bolt & new pressure spring.

Sounds daunting, but its not, pillar drill is a must though. If you find post on this then you'll understand why. All is done inside the car, no need to go underneath. Hope this helps.

On 14/10/2018 at 20:11, Minjukas said:

Hi Mate, if you look through my previous posts regarding this same problem, you should find out how to repair. It's not a hard job, but you will need hand power drill, pillar drill, tap, suitable replacement bolt & new pressure spring.

Sounds daunting, but its not, pillar drill is a must though. If you find post on this then you'll understand why. All is done inside the car, no need to go underneath. Hope this helps.

19 hours ago, fouad said:

i had same problem gear stick was free , mine was Car Shift Linkage Lever was faulty its location in engine easy to change 

s-l1600.thumb.jpeg.36fe2c7ce35de448df9549dca8efb4b1.jpeg

That doesn't look like part of the shifter mechanism to me. Where does it fit exactly?