Erratic fuel gauge

2010 Superb 2.0 TDI CR 170 DSG estate. 99,500 miles.

Can anyone explain what was going on with my fuel gauge, please?

Started my journey and the fuel gauge read just over 1/4 full (Just outside the red zone).  Checked the range on the computer which displayed a remaining range of 95 miles.  Commenced my journey and after a few miles noticed the fuel gauge was apparently not working with the needle registering empty BUT the low fuel warning light was NOT illuminated.  Checked the range on the computer which displayed a remaining range of ——.  Presumed a fuse had blown.

Refueled the car and when I switched the engine off I noticed that the fuel gauge needle moved to the left very slightly (so had been registering something), and after refuelling the fuel gauge worked normally and the range on the computer displayed a range of 450 miles. Gauge seems to working correctly now.

Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, GreenGeorge said:

Refueled the car and when I switched the engine off I noticed that the fuel gauge needle moved to the left very slightly (so had been registering something), and after refuelling the fuel gauge worked normally and the range on the computer displayed a range of 450 miles. Gauge seems to working correctly now.

Any ideas?

When you refuelled did you fill the tank? and if so, how many litres did you get in?

On 26/10/2018 at 09:07, GreenGeorge said:

I filled the car up to the first click which was about 44 litres; not entirely sure but remember I was paying £1.52 p/l and the bill was about £68.

So you probably still had about 10 litres in the tank, which would equate to the 95 miles first indicated.  It could be a one off event but could be worth while keping an eye on the gauge when you next get into the last quarter tank.