Scratched alloy wheel spokes after getting new tyre fitted

I had brought my car down to Quick Fit (local tyre place closes early on Saturdays) to get a big puncture repaired and due to the size of the hole, a new tyre was required, at the beginning of the year.  I had notice scratches on the central area of the wheel and as you can see from the photos, are noticeable.  I subsequently got another set a few months later (so all 4 have been replaced).  However, I'm not the type to complain and tried to put up with it, but ended up going back to them over the weekend.  The manager, who was pleasant those times, was very condescending, dismissive, belittling and really insulted my intelligence when I explained that the guy who had looked at the puncture had caused this by setting the tyre upright on the wheel and was rotating it around, causing the scratching.

He proceeded to show me the equipment (yeah - seen enough of the those over my decades of motoring) and said that it can't be, as the rubber can't cause the scratches!  Yeah - right!  With grit on it it's like sandpaper.  I wonder if he'd agree that it's smooth if I rotated one on his face?  It would probably have been fine and not noticeable if the wheels were silver, but black shows up everything.

Anybody else experienced this with black alloys with a tyre place?  I believe that every tyre shop sets the tyre on top of the wheel for a number of reasons;

1) There is nowhere else to set it and it's more convenient.

2) It's at the right height to work on, when the tyre is upright.

3) It's likely to stay centred on the wheel, and not roll off.

4) You cannot work the tyre comfortably, when it's on it's side and won't stay steady on wheel.

Do you agree with me?

I'm not looking for financial settlement, just for the wheel to be buffed/polished to remove the scratches and it doesn't matter about the time I have taken to report it, as it doesn't change the fact that they were responsible for it and that they had a duty of care.  It was obvious that it wasn't intentional and the guy replacing it most likely wasn't aware that he had caused it, as it only after the car was washed, it became evident...

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Edited by FanTsang
Added additional information.

Hi,

I'm not sure that I entirely understand how you think the damage was done, but I had a brand new set of alloys (diamond cut lacquered faces) fitted with new tyres 5 months ago and I inspected each one after fitting and they were totally unmarked.

The scratch marks are uneven, by which I mean they go at different angles - I was kind of expecting them to go around in a circle around the central circumference of the wheel.

How long was it after the repair that you went back to the garage?

I had damage to a wheel on an old car and pulled the garage up on it at the time of work but they wouldn't have a bar of it ... massivley irritating.

I had seen the tyre sitting upright on top of the centre of the wheel.  The damage would have been caused when the tyre is being rotated (upright) on top of the wheel.  I very recently had a rear puncture repaired by a local tyre place and observed them rotating the upright tyre on top of the wheel.  When I got home there were scuffs and scratches on the centre part of the wheel, not as much as the one in the photos.  I got them them to buff/polish it out and was fine...