Are lease deals what they used to be?

So I've had my MkIII for 2 and a half years, and have been pleased with the low-hassle motoring I get compared to driving older cars. 

When I was looking at what to replace it with, it seems that the leasing deals are nowhere close to being as cheap as they were back in 2015/16. Is this correct, or am I just not looking hard enough.

My spec is SE business (does that even exist any more?) with metallic paint and Canton  and I had it on a 6+23 for about £200+VAT. What's the closest to this now?

Edited by thewinelake

No they're not as cheap in my opinion although there are still some deals around. 

I pay £262 For my superb that's with a £3k down payment 

I had an Octavia vrs in 2015 that I paid £220 but I only paid £1500 up front. Could have got it for £199 if idn gone for manual gearbox. 

PCH is relatively new, but has exploded recently with a surge of 'personal' deals, before that it was mainly used for 'business' leasing.

As a result of it's popularity all of those initial sweet deals are long gone.

It's all cyclical though, PCH is still used as a quick and easy method for manufacturers to shift high volumes relatively quickly so there are still good deals to be had.

Check out the Volvo S90 (saloon) and V90 (estate). A heck of a lot of car for the money, every bit as good as the Superb and with some very attractive PCH deals currently.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 06:57, thewinelake said:

Wow, yes! Nearly gets to 1% of new price/month - which is my guideline for a great deal.

To get down to 1%/month a car would have to have *very* low depreciation, since this means that a leasing company would only get 36% of the new value back over 3 years, and very few cars lose this little value...

• Like 1

Except they wont have paid anywhere near new value, significantly less if the manufacturers need to shift stock.

I have less than zero knowledge on the subject especially having left the UK 14 years ago but é things spring to mind which would significantly increase the lease/PCP rates,

I keep reading on here about delivery delays, models not yet approved for the new emissions regime etc, when supply is reduced market prices increase.

The 2nd and perhaps more significant is their confidence in what the vehicle would be worth in 36 months time and the repair costs during that period, I think many got it wrong 3 years ago and are more cautious, looking forward 3 years into the crystal ball I think the residual values of diesel vehicles will be a lot less than at present and maybe petrol vehicles as well, all it takes is a change in taxation either on road fuel, VED or income tax benefit.

• Like 1