New L&K 150TSI - 2 Years Additional Warranty

Hi All,

trading in 161 reg Manual Quartz Grey Superb Style 1.6Tdi 120BHP for new  191 Reg DSG Lava Blue Superb  L&K 150TSi  150BHP  in January. Is the 2 x years additional warranty  worth the extra cost of €665.00. 

L&K Ireland Spec - Extras are:  Park Assist, Heated Steering wheel with Paddles and Virtual Cockpit

Thanks

I would suggest it depends on a number of factors 

- whether you intend to keep the car beyond the 3 year standard warranty.  If not, I would suggest that you are unlikely to recoup that on re-sale / trade-in;

- the likely cost of 3rd party warranty later down the line (assuming you desire one)

- your risk appetite, at the end of the day its just another insurance product;

- what value you would get from spending your 665.00 elsewhere;

Personally I thought it was worth it, as I fully intend to keep the car for 5+ years and would like that peace of mind, however I hope I never have cause to call upon it.  Others will no doubt have a different opinion!

I bought the 5 year warranty (2 years additional to factory) when I bought the Leon fully intending to keep it 5 years and wary of the bad press the previous generation of 1.4 TSi engines had for cam drive issues), it was about £350 at the time. Like the Skoda warranty buy the warranty before the car is registered and you get the exact same T & C's and exclusions as the 3 year factory warranty, buy after registration and there is a £200 excess on every claim and many items are excluded yet the warranty is no cheaper.

Well I did not keep the car 5 years, at just under 4 years old we swapped it for the Superb since we needed a bigger car. And then there is the reliability record of the current belt drive 1.4 TSi engine, not read about any issues yet so in reality the warranty was not needed.

Did not bother when we bought the Superb. But since the OP is buying a DSG car if I intended keeping it beyond any factory warranty I would think its an essential buy (if it actually covers breakages - some warranties don't of course).

Edited by skidpan