Mk2 vrs fl water in boot

I have a mk 2 octavia vrs fl and i k ow some the issues you get with water in boot but i havent got clue why this is as i have been away.. 

Ive come back from new york and the uk must of had some rain... i started car up and opened all doors and boot, but the boot was soaked all round rubber where the catch is, also as i dried it along the bottom of rubber and more water come out?

Its not gettin in car but if rubber gets soaked it does find its way in

Any help plz

First thing I would do is open the boot and go round the seal looking for signs of damage. Then make sure the channel in the body round the boot opening is clear or debris. Give the boot and body seals and the channel a  good clean with wet wipes or a damp cloth. Once it's clean, lightly coat the rubber seals with talc (this is a good thing to do to stop them sticking together and getting ripped when it gets really cold in winter anyway.) The talc also should help you work out where the water is getting in as any water entering will wash it away.

Have you checked the seals on the rear wiper? That's right above the tailgate latch and might explain the location of the puddle.

Edited by Papfox

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a common fault . The drain holes on the boot seal are on the top side not the bottom so it has no way off draining away . I had this problem and my spare wheel well had about an inch of water in it . I’d get a Stanley knife blade and cut some holes in the rubber on the underside . This should sort it . I’ve had no more water in the boot .