just brought a vrs.

Hi all.

just put a deposit on a Fabia mk2 vrs  2011.

car has done 45000 miles one owner service history

after looking on here at the posts I feel very worried that I have just spent £5000 on a car that is going to give up on either the engine or the gearbox.

could someone put my mind at rest please .

I might just swallow the £100 pound deposit and walk away.

thanks mike.

Welcome.

There are plenty good ones about.

Do you have the Service History and the Warranty History for the car, is it Main Dealer Servicing for the first 3 years and since then?

Be sure if you find any issues that could be a real problem you get it back to who you bought it from asap.

So when was it last serviced and what has been done, and are the service campaign recall actions done.

DSG Service Campaign '34F7',  & Heated Seats if you have them?

40k' Mileage 1 owner can run as oil burners for years with good care (but not indefinitely), i was an owner like this and paid for fixes 2 years ago.  'some didnt need the fixes'

If you have access to previous owners bills would help but due to GDPR unlikely, it seems its a lost cause with history these days unless the owner has appeared on this forum or someone recognize's the reg (if you are buying from garage and not from the owner that is)

Whoever car it was was only doing short journeys (approx 6K miles per year)

Edited by Kobayashi

thanks all for getting back to me.

I did look at the service history and it was main agent but the DSG oil change had not been ticked ,so I guess I need to talk to Skoda regarding the 34F7 . it does not have heated seats.

I have brought the car from a trader but all I know is it is a one owner car so it seems fingers crossed that I have a good one

I presume that I will only know if its a good one if I don't have to keep filling up with oil. so if it does use a lot of oil would I need the "FIX"( and at what cost) or would the engine be scrap.

so should I be changing the plugs straight away, plus any other pointers would be a help.

many thanks mike .

A 'one registered keeper on the V5' car.     The DSG Service campaign should show in the Skoda Records if done, so check if it was needed and if done.

Where and when did the trader get it?

When and where was it serviced last.

What does the MOT History show, any advisories?

Do you want to post the Registration Number???

Hi Skoffski.

i will be picking the car up on Saturday so i will have a good look through the service book and contact the Skoda garage who serviced it to check the DSG campaign.

i don't now where the trader got the car from sorry.

the MOT only shows advisories for pitted from discs and a tyre close to the limit.

the reg is OY11JVK would be great if anyone knows this car.

thanks mike.

• Like 1

No need to check a Dealership that did the servicing, sometimes best not to.

Any Dealership can check the Service & Warranty records on the system, 

or Skoda UK Customer Services can.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

PS

That rear brakes need servicing.

That is crap actually.  Binding brakes can soon have the Bearing overheating.

Then also issues with the ESP. 

A set of 4 discs and new pads for the car come in at about £120 from a Motor Factors.

The corrosion of the rear box is usual.

Edited by Skoffski

so Skoffski.

i understand about the service and warranty and will get the brakes done asap.

so my question to you is ,am i taking a big gamble buying one of these cars now, knowing the cave engine could come with oil consupmtion problems or go for it and hope for the best.

thanks for you input .

mike.

Go for it but be aware you might have the expense soon of needing the Water Pump Replaced.

So near £500.  That is if not already replaced.

I would want to know from the Service and Warranty Records if it is a Replacement Engine.  OK if it is.

Or has it had the Breather Mod and Software Update,  but no New Oil Spray Jets done. 

The chances of a good one are maybe 65 / 35 in favour of not being an oil user if it is all original.

thank you so much for taking the time to come back to me .

so if i email the link you sent me and give them the reg they should tell me what has or not been done over the years .

thanks for putting my mind at rest for a while lol.

mike.

11 minutes ago, mikesvrs said:

had a little bit of good news today .

talked to skoda and the car has had the 34f7 oil replacement so one less to worry about just need to keep my fingers crossed with the engine.

mike.

Mine has too but still yet to find out if its a burner 

Frankly, 2011 VRS - I would not risk it.

Keep in mind the whole rationale of buying a VRS in the first place is to give it some energetic treatment!

Ask yourself why is the owner getting rid of it in the first place?

Usually you get to know your car and its nuances and characteristics, and have a good idea of future problems. There is a time when you know NOW is the time to dump it!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a full study of the numerous posts re the VRS should enlighten you as to the potential problems and forthcoming expenses, PLUS, the shortcomings of the Skoda dealer network (In fairness, not all are bad.)

Forgive me for saying - but you seem to have talked yourself into buying this, before making deeper investigation.

1 minute ago, 2ndskoda said:

Frankly, 2011 VRS - I would not risk it.

Keep in mind the whole rationale of buying a VRS in the first place is to give it some energetic treatment!

Ask yourself why is the owner getting rid of it in the first place?

Usually you get to know your car and its nuances and characteristics, and have a good idea of future problems. There is a time when you know NOW is the time to dump it!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a full study of the numerous posts re the VRS should enlighten you as to the potential problems and forthcoming expenses, PLUS, the shortcomings of the Skoda dealer network (In fairness, not all are bad.)

Forgive me for saying - but you seem to have talked yourself into buying this, before making deeper investigation.

If i knew before buying i wouldnt of bothered but i had  already bought it. Rhen found all the issues iv seen lots on ebay with 60/70/80 thousand miles sane year and model they cant be that poor surely? 

Anyway iv got a little bit of finance to pay off for 18mth and its going. 

I would say that unless a forum member owned the car and its true history was known it is unlikely you will ever find out if it has a problem when just buying from a random used car dealer, even if he knew why would he tell you ? He would never sell the car, i would love a VRS but i just can't take the chance given its history, i do hope it all works out ok.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't you just put some oil in and monitor it for a couple of months to see how much it is using?. If I went 1000 miles before checking my dipstick I wouldn't read anything either but I check it once a week. If you have to add a bit of oil so what? You have just bought the car and I guarantee you have been giving a thrashing. It's a highly stressed small displacement petrol with direct injection, it's gonna use oil. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Is the yellow oil light on ? Still best not rely on that. I used to use 0.5l every 350 miles, if you have a oil burner then you need to thrash it every now & then clear the soot deposits. Unfortunately the oil carbonises  and can lead to burnt valves.  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlexibleMouse said:

Why don't you just put some oil in and monitor it for a couple of months to see how much it is using?. If I went 1000 miles before checking my dipstick I wouldn't read anything either but I check it once a week. If you have to add a bit of oil so what? You have just bought the car and I guarantee you have been giving a thrashing. It's a highly stressed small displacement petrol with direct injection, it's gonna use oil. 

I intend to keep it and check weekly and yes of course i gave give it a good thrashing, just was a bit shocked upon initially checking oil level  and seeing nothing 

55 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Is the yellow oil light on ? Still best not rely on that. I used to use 0.5l every 350 miles, if you have a oil burner then you need to thrash it every now & then clear the soot deposits. Unfortunately the oil carbonises  and can lead to burnt valves.  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/

No yellow light mate just a random check, i can live with putting £20 of oil in monthly lol 

I have found that it burns much more oil when thrashed (as you would expect) so I just don't beat on mine that often now. If I do feel like a go I always make sure the engine oil temp is at least 80c and that I have checked the level recently. I have also learned that 10w30* will not burn as quick but you will lose a little bit of power to friction.

Edited by FlexibleMouse
Typo