fabia brakes and dsg box

hello new to this forum

i am having problems with a 1.0 dsg fabia brakes from new the rear brakes don't appear to be working properly. the dealer has refaced the discs and pads 3 times and still there is nothing wrong.

also just come out of the work shop for investergation a

on the start/stop and now it changes gear below 2000 rpm and doesn't want to change down till 1100 rpm this is diffrent to what it did before any ideas

Welcome.

Do you mean they have skimmed your discs 3 times?  They are taking the Micheal.

They need maybe now to fit new discs and pads and ensure your car is fit for purpose.

If there are issues with the DSG and they are getting no place be sure you get them or the Warranty Provider so Skoda UK to get someone that can in to rectify your car.

Get Skoda UK to arrange a Courtesy Car until your car works as designed to if it is not doing so now.

Get everything in writing.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Edited by Skoffski

yes they have either refaced or skimmed the rear disc's 3 times in 13 months the car is only 13 months old according to the dealer the brakes are only warranted for 6 months the service manager was under the impression that the discs had already been replaced when you look at them on the car they look like they have been standing for a while. the car is used everyday the issue with the gearbox has only just started the "master technician " there's nothing wrong with way it is working or that the engine is rough sounding and that the brakes are fine. I am taking it for a independant brake test later on just to see if the brakes were able to pass the MOT (not required for another 2 years), as for the rest i think a call email to skoda uk might be required what do you think

• Thanks 1

?

Have you been paying them, or have they been getting paid by the Warranty Claim & Skoda UK / Underwriter is paying,

or are they doing the Resurfacing Free out of the goodness of their hearts?

?

When was the issue first reported to them and the first time the discs were skimmed, how many miles covered and how long after the car was first registered.

What is the measurement they are giving now for the rear discs thickness?

& Who at the Dealership does not know the T&C's or the warranty or has not read them?

Wear & Tear and excluded items and 6 months / 6,500 miles is one things.  But brakes not fit for purpose or duff is another thing.

If you rear brakes are seizing and not operating and the rust is building up then that can be normal, but not as the engineers designed them to be.

Getting a Brake Efficiency test carried out is a good idea.  Has the Master Tech not done that previously, or actually at least 3 times?

Rusting of discs can be normal. location location location, sea side, winter and salted roads etc.

but excessive corrosion of discs or pads because they are rubbish OEM items is normal with Skoda sadly.

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2018.59c8de521ff537083074db669bd4a47d (3).pdf

Edited by Skoffski

just got back from brake test they are working fine at the moment the disc's look fairly good. It was reported to them about 2 months after we got the car from new current milage  is 19000 not been able to measure the thickness yet but will be doing so. took it for a little drive under normal conditions and the disc's were warm/hot (what i would call normal). At the time i spotted the state of the rear disc's i only had to look over at my octaiva to see the diffrence they said at the time that it wasn't doing enough miles. now it does (job change)  and that it was a dsg. At present they done all the work on the brakes under warranty. i've just filled the car with diffrent fuel to see if it was the fuel that was causing the issue with the engine.  yes the gearbox is still changing up before 2000 rpm under normal accerlation (if i didn't know it was petrol its changing gear like my A5 TDI auto (2.0l) ). the brake issue has been running through the summer months and hasn't been to the sea. the rust was appearing on the brake surface and not on the edge. i'm going to give a few weeks and keep checking them to the change. if they do need replacing then i will change them with quality items the pads look about 50% worn that could be sooner than later. i'll see what the service manger says about them next week and also what he says about the gearbox. ( the normal driver tells me that before service it change up from 2500 to 3000 rpm and would change down around 1500 rpm.

• Like 1

I recall having the rear discs on my Volvo S60 replaced during a tyre change.....they did need replacing. The tyre depot manager said he thought I was a driver who was very observant and planned ahead.....possibly an IAM bod, as well.  This meant that the vast majority of my braking was gentle and the rear discs were hardly ever getting used, never mind hot. He was right on all counts, for which he claimed no credit, but cited years of experience of cistomer cars.

The answer was to get the car up to about 50mph, or so, on a quiet road and then brake hard and repeat a couple of times, on a reasonably frequent basis......always when safe to do so, of course.

never had to change another disc since. I now buy any tyres needed from this tyre dealer, because I trust them.

above procedure might help and certainly won't harm.

Have they done any Software Updates on your car when in the Dealerships.

Ask in writing.

Read the Owners Manual about the DSG and then do some 'dynamic' driving, well once they sort out the brakes.

Warranty money on 'resurfacing' is a joke, and were the disks skimmed or was the car just out for 'Italian Tune ups?

I have a 1.2 TSI DSG and under normal acceleration the changes do usually happen a bit under or at 2000rpm. If I accelerate hard, then it of course lets the rpm rise well above 2000rpm all the way to the red limit if needed.

It's nothing special, just the normal behavior of the gearbox.

lego, your dsg box should change up before 2000rpm in normal driving. Small turbo charged engines are at their most efficient when working at lower revs in higher gears. That is how they are designed. The difference you have noticed in the way the gearbox is operating may be because of an update to the cars electronics. This may be to do with emissions or some other issue Skoda/VW are correcting, or just improving performance of the engine. It happens all the time with all makes of car. But it does sound normal to me. In addition, you mention the car has had investigations concerning the stop/start. This often means the battery is disconnected and this will reset the ecu. In addition the gearbox ecu will have most likely have been reset too. This means it will perform noticeably different for a short time as it relearns how you like to drive. But ask questions at your dealer if not sure. Is this the first DSG Skoda you have bought? They do cause some owners to question if the car is ok as they are not used to the way the car changes gear so early. It's all normal though. 

Edited by Estate Man

Hi

I have a 1ltr TSI 110 (3 pot) Fabia Estate, it has done 10k miles I can confirm the DSG box if you drive it moderately it will change at just under 2000rpm. it will do this though all gears up to 7th my speed will be a fraction under 40mph when it hits 7th gear.

If you boot it that is an entirely different story.  My wife's 1.2 DSG Fabia gives much the same results.

Not had any problems with the brakes to be honest I have had 4 Skoda cars and this has been the best stopper so far. I do a lot of driving in North London and the brakes get a right hammering at times.