Carista. Throttle response behaviour - meaning?

bertJ

One of the options in Carista is entitled 'Throttle response behaviour'.

There are two possible settings - 'Gradual, controlled by time' and 'Direct, controlled by threshold' 

Could someone explain to me what these setting mean?

Thanks.

In principle (assuming it's actually been implemented in the Fabia) it modifies how the ECU turns the position of the throttle pedal into an engine power demand. With the first setting rapid pedal presses are damped in time a bit (along with other drive-by-wire stuff) to supposedly smooth the power delivery. For the second it just responds linearly to wherever the pedal's at right now.

On 31/01/2019 at 12:21, ettlz said:

In principle (assuming it's actually been implemented in the Fabia) it modifies how the ECU turns the position of the throttle pedal into an engine power demand. With the first setting rapid pedal presses are damped in time a bit (along with other drive-by-wire stuff) to supposedly smooth the power delivery. For the second it just responds linearly to wherever the pedal's at right now.

Thanks for that. I'll try changing the settings when the weather improves; it's too icy at the moment to fiddle with accelerator responses!

1 hour ago, bertJ said:

Carista settings don't seem to produce any difference - probably not implemented in the Fabia. 

Personally, ive found it does work.

With it adjusted to direct mode, the pedal feels more linear, where the whole spread of the pedal has similar effect, but at default there's quite a flat spot at low throttle thats more noticable in 4th/5th, the turbo surge feels more predictable now too.

I found it much easier to hold a constant 30mph in 4th going up an average incline. If it dropped speed i added a bit more pressure to the pedal, and it picked back up again up to 30. Before, it would drop a little, i would add a bit, then it would get carried away once the turbo kicked in and you'd find yourself heading towards 40mph.

Imagine it as a y=x graph, rather than y=x^2.

7 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Personally, ive found it does work.

With it adjusted to direct mode, the pedal feels more linear, where the whole spread of the pedal has similar effect, but at default there's quite a flat spot at low throttle thats more noticable in 4th/5th, the turbo surge feels more predictable now too.

I found it much easier to hold a constant 30mph in 4th going up an average incline. If it dropped speed i added a bit more pressure to the pedal, and it picked back up again up to 30. Before, it would drop a little, i would add a bit, then it would get carried away once the turbo kicked in and you'd find yourself heading towards 40mph.

Imagine it as a y=x graph, rather than y=x^2.

My Fabia is the 110bhp DSG version - this might be the reason I can't detect any difference compared to yours.

13 minutes ago, bertJ said:

My Fabia is the 110bhp DSG version - this might be the reason I can't detect any difference compared to yours.

Stamping on the power at 3.5k rpms (max torque) gives a sharp but weak tug, then a delay as the turbo spools and boost builds, then it goes.

Before, it felt like a more gradual time-dampened afair, and the turbo came in slightly later.

What is the turbo lag like for you? For me it seems quite considerable (about half a second), not sure if i perhaps have a boost leak somewhere or something. Unless that amount of turbo lag is normal for any turbo car, but a 110ps (1.0 tsi) manual monte-carlo citigo had no turbo lag at all from what i could notice (though that did have a factory throttle limiter on - much to my disappointment), it still pulled far harder than my fabia, and it pulled as soon as you pressed the pedal too, unlike the rather large turbo lag on my 1.2

Never noticed any turbo lag. Only slight problem is trying to move off from a standstill without a sudden jerk. It's probably a characteristic of the 7 speed dsg box combined with the petrol engine. My wife's 6 speed diesel 150bhp dsg Golf moves off very smoothly but does have some turbo lag. 

1 hour ago, bertJ said:

Never noticed any turbo lag. Only slight problem is trying to move off from a standstill without a sudden jerk. It's probably a characteristic of the 7 speed dsg box combined with the petrol engine. My wife's 6 speed diesel 150bhp dsg Golf moves off very smoothly but does have some turbo lag. 

Do you sit at a standstill using handbrake or via brake pedal? In a DSG equipped Yeti of a friends i found setting off with the handbrake much smoother than when releasing the brake pedal.

23 hours ago, bertJ said:

Never noticed any turbo lag. Only slight problem is trying to move off from a standstill without a sudden jerk.

That could be the Fabia III's spectacular engine mounts. If it feels like roughly 100kg of metal is suddenly shunting under the bonnet, well, that's exactly what's happening. (Although a friend's DSG Audi with a 2.0 TSI isn't smooth to start either. I've given up trying to achieve absolute smoothness on VAGs.)

Edited by ettlz

21 minutes ago, ettlz said:

That could be the Fabia III's spectacular engine mounts. If it feels like roughly 100kg of metal is suddenly shunting under the bonnet, well, that's exactly what's happening. (Although a friend's DSG Audi with a 2.0 TSI isn't smooth to start either. I've given up trying to achieve absolute smoothness on VAGs.)

With a powerflex dogbone bush, it's alot smoother than before but there's still movement from the upper mounts. I've gone back to OEM mountings that were originally for diesel engines, and that's a decent compromise, smoother than stock, but not as vibration inducing as the powerflex bush. 

In approx a year or so, ill be lowering, mapping, and swapping out completely to vibratechnics mounts. A "proper job" as id call it. The upper OEM mounts were too weak to keep up with the powerflex bushing, and ended up splitting it, as all the load was going through that instead of being spread out.

10 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

In approx a year or so, ill be lowering, mapping, and swapping out completely to vibratechnics mounts. A "proper job" as id call it. The upper OEM mounts were too weak to keep up with the powerflex bushing, and ended up splitting it, as all the load was going through that instead of being spread out. 

In under a year I'll be shot of my Fabia anyway, so I'm just letting it slide now.

Like the inner part of the gearbox mount.

Edited by ettlz

43 minutes ago, ettlz said:

Like the inner part of the gearbox mount.

Yep, the original dogbone mount was shot, in turn putting more stress on the original gearbox mount, which was also shot. Not touched the other upper mounting as that's the only thing that's not caused any issue so far, and also is the same part as what also comes on diesel models, unlike the other mountings which clearly arent up to handling the torque.

22 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Do you sit at a standstill using handbrake or via brake pedal? In a DSG equipped Yeti of a friends i found setting off with the handbrake much smoother than when releasing the brake pedal.

You have to keep your foot on the foot brake while stationary in Drive to remain stationary. The handbrake will not keep the car stationary in Drive. It seems that the Fabia has the old version of this system so there's no way you can move off by releasing the handbrake. In contrast all recent VW's with DSG boxes  (i.e. MK 7 Golfs etc.) will remain stationary in Drive without keeping your foot on the brake pedal or using the handbrake. To move off you just touch the accelerator - an excellent design. BTW, Golfs etc. have an electronic/electrical handbrake that is completely automatic and holds the car whenever it's stopped. It's about time all Skodas had this system, not just the Superb etc.

On 05/02/2019 at 16:43, bertJ said:

You have to keep your foot on the foot brake while stationary in Drive to remain stationary. The handbrake will not keep the car stationary in Drive. It seems that the Fabia has the old version of this system so there's no way you can move off by releasing the handbrake. In contrast all recent VW's with DSG boxes  (i.e. MK 7 Golfs etc.) will remain stationary in Drive without keeping your foot on the brake pedal or using the handbrake. To move off you just touch the accelerator - an excellent design. BTW, Golfs etc. have an electronic/electrical handbrake that is completely automatic and holds the car whenever it's stopped. It's about time all Skodas had this system, not just the Superb etc.

Oh, on the few automatic cars i've driven (a Yeti and a Nissan Navara - awful thing), they were all the torque converter kind, where the handbrake was enough to keep it still. Releasing the handbrake as you apply some throttle and it moves off smooth. Releasing brake pedal then quickly swapping foot to throttle resulted in a much jerkier set-off.