My New Yeti - Ex-Mobility

spacenase

Hi,

I just picked up my new (to me) Yeti on Saturday and I'm really happy with my choice. It's a 2015 1.2 SE DSG in Jungle Green with 53k miles and is an ex-Mobility car. I bought it from Skoda Wolverhampton who were very helpful.

It's genuinely in near immaculate condition with only a few marks and chips on the bodywork to show the mileage and the interior looks nearly new. I've driven it over the weekend, and apart from the jiggly ride which I was expecting, it's proving to be as good as other owners have said.

I've read mixed stories about ex-Mobility cars, that some are looked after properly and others are used and abused. In fact, the salesman said they had to turn away an end of lease Superb because of the poor condition it was in. Fortunately my Yeti is one of the ones that was looked after.

The only concerning thing I've found is that the DSG fluid was not changed at the 40k service as it is only a recommendation and Mobility chose not to get it done. I've booked it in at my local dealer to get it done next week. It's a bit of a risk with these DSGs, but I'm hoping that since it has got to a relatively high mileage with no issues, it shows that my DSG is a good one. I've got the standard 6 month satisfactory quality law to fall back on if anything happens.

I'll be getting SmartLink activated to see how that works with my iPhone and I'll hopefully have a few year's happy motoring out of it. The fluid change is something to check on ex-Mobility cars and probably any ex-lease or ex-company car though.

Edited by spacenase

?

Is it not a Skoda Approved Used Car with a 12 month Skoda Warranty?

?

Who told you the DSG oil change with a DQ200 is recommended, and recommended by who?

(A member in the Mk3 Fabia section with a DQ200 DSG did an Oil change recently and found not very nice oil by doing that change.)

*Check with a Skoda Dealer or Skoda UK that the Service Campaign '34H5' was not required on the DSG and if carried out if it was required.

it should have been done if the car was serviced at a Main Dealers anytime in 2018 if required.

A software update on some DQ200 dsg from 2013-2015 manufacture.*

The DQ200 DSG Oil was not changed @ 40,000 miles or before the car went to BCA at end of lease because the Oil does not require changing, 

there is no Service Guidelines or Schedule on the 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

6 and 7 Speed Wet Clutch DSG require a 40,000 mile oil change.

& that is not a recommendation, that is the Requirement for Manufacturers and Extended Warranties or Warranties from other providers.

Manufacturers 'Guidelines & Service Schedule'.

Edited by Skoffski

16 minutes ago, feebs said:

what they charging you to get the smart link activated

£135 all-in.

5 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

?

Is it not a Skoda Approved Used Car with a 12 month Skoda Warranty?

?

Who told you the DSG oil change with a DQ200 is recommended, and recommended by who?

The DQ200 DSG Oil was not changed @ 40,000 miles or before the car went to BCA at end of lease because the Oil does not require changing, 

there is no Service Guidelines or Schedule on the 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

None of their cars are advertised as a Skoda Approved, maybe they are not authorised to sell them?

The dealer that serviced it said it was recommended, also this VW webpage: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/dsg-transmission-oil-and-filter-change

AFAIK it's the standard price for the job.  It's what West End Skoda were going to charge me, before they messed up my appointment and knocked 10% for the inconvenience of having to re-book it.

@spacenase

The Dealership bought the car at Auction, it never came to them straight from Motability.

Or if Traded in that would maybe be from someone or some dealer that bought it at a BCA Auction.

Maybe put a question to Skoda UK on your type of DSG with no Service Schedule or Guidelines or oil changes.

Skoda CZ produce 2,200 DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG a day.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

The website is very misleading.

& Audi Service Schedule on S-tronic 6 or 7 speed wet clutch boxes is 38,000 miles.   

Dry Dual Clutch and Wet Dual clutch are different creatures.

?

Was the brake fluid changed at 3 years old, & the Spark Plugs changed @ 40,000 miles to Manufacturers Guidelines?

Edited by Skoffski

@Skoffski

Yes I know it would have gone through an auction first, I'm not sure of the relevance of that? I was simply saying that Motability were the previous (and first) owners. It's just over 3 years old and was probably on a 3 year lease via Motability and was handed back at the end.

I could ask Skoda, but I prefer to be over-cautious on this and just get the fluid changed, especially if there is some confusion on the schedule. 40,000 miles is not an unreasonable change interval for gearbox fluid. I'm not sure of the relevance of how many DSGs Skoda produce either, I'm sure the VW Group produce many more as a whole?

The brake fluid was changed at 40,000, I'm not sure about the spark plugs. I believe everything that is included in the service was done, but I was told that changing the DSG fluid is only a recommendation.

I'm not sure of the main point you are trying to make? It would be unusual for someone to recommend not doing some preventative maintenance, especially on a part that has a reputation for problems even if it is not totally justified. For the record, I think there is a higher than expected failure rate on these DSGs, but I don't think every, or even most gearboxes are affected. I just see it as a higher risk that I need to help prevent from happening.

1 hour ago, ejstubbs said:

AFAIK it's the standard price for the job.  It's what West End Skoda were going to charge me, before they messed up my appointment and knocked 10% for the inconvenience of having to re-book it.

i been quoted 150 and 170 to have it done

@spacenase  I was just wondering why they would not be putting the sales as a Skoda Approved Used car, but maybe because it never came straight from Motability to Auction and then to them.

As to the DQ200, my experience from a lot of interest in the DQ200 for near a decade is that those at Dealerships recommending changing the Oil have not a clue about the DQ200.

Or are Master Techs or Techs that know the full story and are correct to recommend oil changes even though VW Group never have apart from 

when they did the World Wide Recall 2012 and only a Service Campaign in Europe starting 2013/14.

There are a few members here that have elected to have DQ200 DSG's oil changed and found out it was a good idea.

It is a shame that VW Group have never changed Service Guidelines, Recommendations or the Service Schedule on the DSG fitted to 1.0TSI, 1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI, 

1.8tsi or the ones fitted to 1.4 & 1.6TDI's.

Edited by Skoffski

From the dealer group website none of their used cars are Skoda Approved, they are all group approved instead. That's why I thought that they may not be authorised to sell Skoda Approved. The Skoda website does say that it is selected dealers.

I must admit I didn't think to ask. I think I got it cheaper than a Skoda Approved one would have been as it was similar in price to one in a nearby car supermarket.

• Like 1

Best buy a Skoda Warranty at the End of this warranty with a DQ200 DSG car.

& only let those that know what they are doing change the Oil.

http://insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty

This is relevant to DQ200 up to 2013 so not your DSG which has Mineral Oil.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabias-in-uk

2013-2015 DQ200 relevant Service Campaign is 34H5 which is a Software Update and might not apply to your car and if it does should have been done at that 40,000 mile service when the Brake Fluid got changed if Motability or Skoda were just servicing the Yeti at Major Service Intervals.

That is how my Motability Car has been serviced. 

Regarding warranty issues, I just had a look to see if my DSG Yeti (approaching 8 years old) is included in the "approved Skoda extended warranty scheme" It looks as though it is whereas I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have done so a few years ago ....

.... but I don't want to intrude in this thread and take it off topic and I'll  start a new one shortly.

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

It’s only the wet clutch dsg which need oil change due to contamination from clutch wear.

1.2 petrol is dry clutch and filled with oil for life.

Thanks for that. Personally I don't believe in oil for life as all fluids deteriorate over time. It could mean I'm being premature, but it'll need doing at some point. I had a Peugeot 406 a number of years ago that was supposed to be sealed for life, until it needed a rebuild.

Also, if fully synthetic oil contributed towards the failure of earlier boxes, surely deteriorating mineral oil is going to cause similar issues over time?

27 minutes ago, spacenase said:

Thanks for that. Personally I don't believe in oil for life as all fluids deteriorate over time. It could mean I'm being premature, but it'll need doing at some point. I had a Peugeot 406 a number of years ago that was supposed to be sealed for life, until it needed a rebuild.

Also, if fully synthetic oil contributed towards the failure of earlier boxes, surely deteriorating mineral oil is going to cause similar issues over time?

I have the letter from Skoda (dated 22nd August 2014) in front of me as I write.

...."Skoda Auto has found that in vehicles with a DSG 7 speed Gearbox filled with synthetic oil, the synthetic oil used can lead to an internal short circuit and to the blowing of the fuse for the Geaerbox. The failure causes the clutches to open and the vehicle freewheels......

.... and so it goes on advising me to get in touch etc. Which I did.

27 minutes ago, spacenase said:

If you get along to an auction where Motability cars are being disposed of at 3 years or modified ones that might be 5 years you will see that there are all mileages.

Amazing how so many think little old men or women are dottering about in some little Motability car.

Lots are not Automatics, not driven by people with a disability and are not Nil or Low advanced payment vehicles like Skoda's that Motability buy and lease out.

They are the biggest group buyer in the UK.

There are performance cars and People Carriers and all sorts.

• 2 weeks later...

So I turn up at my local dealer today to be told the 7 speed is sealed for life and they cannot change the fluid. Looks like you were right #Skoffski. Odd that they could change it when they switched them from synthetic to mineral oil. The service manager is trying to get some info from Skoda.

That’s a bit of peace of mind taken away and there’ll be an interesting argument if it breaks whilst I have it. I can’t see any rationale for anyone to make fluid that operates in the kind of environment that you’d get inside an auto box not changeable, especially mineral oil that’s going to degrade over time and eventually be ineffective. At least any technical rationale, I guess it’s more likely to be a business/commercial decision.

• Like 1

Goes to show you are speaking at the dealers to someone that is clueless.

Best not have it done there.

Sealed for life.

The Oil can be changed though, you can ask to have it changed, be prepared to pay, and the technician should be able to do it.

That is their job, they have the equipment, parts and should have the training.