Oh no ... another 'Extended Warranty' thread ... sorry.

oldstan

It's coming up 8 years old and has done almost 32.000 mls and has a DSG box which hasn't failed yet (obviously keeping fingers crossed).

I did take out extended warranty with Car Care Plan (via the CSMA) for a couple of years as I was convinced the DSG would fail as per almost universal predictions.

It didn't.

But I just looked at the Skoda plan online and put my reg. number and mileage in and the quotes varied between around £200 to around £300 depending on the excess chosen and whether I went "comprehensive" or just "selected items covered" . To be honest that didn't sound too bad .... IF ... it covered the transmission!!

The list of exclusions is, as is to be expected, pretty lengthy but my main concern would be - does it cover the DSG? .  And I couldn't be sure it does: there are so many clauses that could be their get out ... would it be a "sudden failure"?  Would clutch judder be considered to be due to wear of the "friction lining"? or would it simply 'wear and tear'?

Or would it easier to PX it for an automatic KIA and not worry about anything for the next 7 years?

It has covered DQ200 DSG's for some, while others gave been knocked back.

Which was much the same with the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty by Car Care ltd.   

Best ask in writing if the Clutch Packs and the Mechatronic control unit are covered by the warranty.

?

Has you DSG had Service Campaign '34F7' carried out since 2014?   

19 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

It has covered DQ200 DSG's for some, while others gave been knocked back.

Which was much the same with the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty by Car Care ltd.   

Best ask in writing if the Clutch Packs and the Mechatronic control unit are covered by the warranty.

?

Has you DSG had Service Campaign '34F7' carried out since 2014?   

Yes.  Done on the 14th October 2014 (oil changed from synthetic to mineral).

Plus Recall 24W6 inApril 2012 and Recalls 24W6 and 66F1in June 2012

Plus a new clutch (under warranty) in November 2013

Nothing since.

Regarding asking them if those items are covered .... Can any of us honestly expect them to give a simple YES or NO?

Obviously, at the time I was covered by Car Care Plan, I asked the same question.  And hands up all those who thought I got a straight forward answer to my question.  I don't see many hands.  Of course I didn't. More chance of getting struck by lightning.

The only reason I still have main dealer servicing is in the vague hope they would be sympathetic if I had to have the DSG repaired - but after 8 years I think I'm probably just dreaming.

Edited by oldstan
Missed the second 'C' out of clutch. 6/10 must try harder.

^^^  Indeed so. It does actually specifically say "gearbox" is covered but I still think there would be something they could find to exempt it.  Some might argue the multi plate clutches are an integral part of the overall "automatic transmission" but I doubt that, in itself, would hold water. Perhaps it's easier to  conceded that, on a single clutch "automated manual" as on, say,  the Citigo or Up  transmission then there could be greater grounds for claiming "fair wear and tear on the friction lining" thus exempting it - but I don't suppose a Citigo or Up owner would be too pleased either.

I would hope that on a torque converter transmission there's much less scope for rejection of a claim if the box went wrong.

On the other hand ..... perhaps we, on this forum, are too worried about the possibility of failure and we concentrate on the minority that fail instead of acknowledging that the majority don't.  But I still feel that VAG aren't doing themselves any favours by acknowledging some aspects of the failures - and fixing them .... but at the same time turning their backs on other, worthy cases.

Clearly mine, at 8 years, has less qualification for sympathetic treatment - but some seem to go bad just out of warranty with low mileage and still get rebuffed.

This will be my last DSG. I don't want the uncertainty next time after the first three years has expired.  I've had the recall work done, I've had a replacement clutch pack under warrnty but I dislike the feeling that I'm treading on eggshells just waiting for it to go wrong knowing it could write the car off due to it being 8 yrs old.

Edited by oldstan

..just taken out an extended 12 month warranty on mine, (1.4tsi manual) as it is now just outside the manufacturers 3 yr warranty. Probably not worth the paper its (not) written on given the fairly extensive list of "exclusions" however may give some piece of mind. (Biggest concern is the Pan sunroof reading other threads, although be interesting to find out what the actual percentage of failures is as you only hear about the problem ones!).

I must admit I do love the car, (my 4th Skoda in 15 years), but getting a bit fed up regarding Skoda's lack of interest in supporting customers who are suffering from what I would consider to be design / manufacturing faults....don't think I would risk another one (Skoda).

So look at the 'Maximum limit of a claim' 

Look at Clutch and Automatic boxes, and exclusions.

*Look at design and manufacturing faults.* 

But then with a DQ200 DSG Skoda / VW do not admit they have Design or Manufacturing faults and if there are why are they selling cars as Approved Used Cars, New cars, & why do they sell Warranties where they know there are faults. If there are no known faults when the Warranty is bought why are Policy Holders having warranty claims rejected and being told 'Known Fault?

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 11.20.21.png

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 11.20.54.png

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 11.21.36.png