Recall - Wiring issue affecting reverse lamps

spectrumz80

Just had a routine service at a main Skoda dealer and was told there's a recall on Citigos for a failure of the reverse lights due to a wiring loom issue.

They've booked mine in for a repair (no charge). Apparently the wiring that needs to be replaced is hard enough to do, several hours work.

Mine was manufactured Oct 2015 if that is relevant to the issue. Not sure if it affects Mii and Up! models or other production dates. 

I thought it worthy of mention here as I saw nothing elsewhere online about this recall. It explains the funny looks I was getting when

reversing out of parking spaces in shopping centres! 

• Like 1

Be sure to tell the Dealer Employees and Skoda Ireland that unless they Contact Registered Keepers then it is not a Recall, just a 'Service Campaign or Recall Action that they know about and are not publicising.

Recalls as Dealership Staff call them and Skoda Secret Service Campaigns with the 'Need to know' only if you find out and have Main Dealer servicing is ridiculous.

If there is a TPI, and Safety Critical issues or just Issues they should not be saying 'RECALL' without Recalling cars.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

• 2 weeks later...

Just another note, it appears on mine that when I engage reverse, not only do the reverse lamps fail to come on, but it also turns off the tail lamps if headlamps are on! 

Brake do lights work regardless, but this is still potentially a very dangerous issue at night to have a car going pitch dark in reverse. Thankfully I live in well lit suburbs of a city.

Well mine was fixed today, they soldered in a replacement wire from somewhere near the gear lever I think. I got a lend of a Fabia for the day which got me to work and back. 

Apparently it's not considered common a problem enough to issue a full recall. Can't say I agree with their position (Skoda/VW group not the local dealership who are great. But I understand Skoda/VW Group centrally wouldn't want the inevitable bad PR from a fullscale public recall. 

The car is at Haselelden Skoda at the moment. They could not find anything about this wiring problem. Car has had a brake check and pothole free check. They checked a click from the offside front when setting off, but said the driveshafts are fine. However they are changing the rear bumper stops for creaking, under warranty.