Activating Aple Carplay in a 2015 Fabia

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to activate Apple Carplay in a 2015 (15 plate) Skoda Fabia without paying the dealership £150 to do so?  I would like very much to be able to use this feature but I grudge paying so much money just to have a feature unlocked. Especially when it is a feature that is free on all models 2016 or newer.

When I was looking at the car the Salesman tried to connect my phone to the Infotainment system using the Mirrorlink feature. He was unable to do so. He later told me that Carplay would not be useable on this 2015 model. However, when I came to buy the car, he said he had consulted the workshop and they said that the feature could be activated but it would cost me £150 to do so. This seems a disproportionately large sum of money for them to unlock a Kenwood stereo so that it can run Apple software.

Do I have any other options for unlocking Carplay?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

6 hours ago, FABIABERDEEN said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to activate Apple Carplay in a 2015 (15 plate) Skoda Fabia without paying the dealership £150 to do so?  I would like very much to be able to use this feature but I grudge paying so much money just to have a feature unlocked. Especially when it is a feature that is free on all models 2016 or newer.

When I was looking at the car the Salesman tried to connect my phone to the Infotainment system using the Mirrorlink feature. He was unable to do so. He later told me that Carplay would not be useable on this 2015 model. However, when I came to buy the car, he said he had consulted the workshop and they said that the feature could be activated but it would cost me £150 to do so. This seems a disproportionately large sum of money for them to unlock a Kenwood stereo so that it can run Apple software.

Do I have any other options for unlocking Carplay?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Hi Stephen i have a 2015 pre week 22 Fabia SEL where car play was not available and getting a phone to work with mirrorlink was a nightmare. If you can find out which week your car was  built. After week 22 i think changes were made but iPhones were not linked to the car till i believe 16 plate cars came out Joe

• Thanks 1

In the UK market, all Fabias with the Bolero/Amundsen radios have had phone mirroring enabled. However, pre 2015 week 22 cars only had MirrorLink as part of that. Adding CarPlay/Android Auto would involve replacing the entire system. Week 22 is late May IIRC, so cars on a '15' plate would be a mix of pre and post week 22. 

These early cars are MY2015 cars. MY2016 started in Week 22 of 2015. One way to tell is the steering wheels. 2015 SE models don't have a standard MFSW, while the 2016 models do. The steering wheel buttons are also slightly different. 2015 cars don't have the 'assistance systems' button, while 2016 cars do. 

@FabiaGonzales it is likely that your car is a MY 2016 car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/02/2019 at 16:51, vc-10 said:

In the UK market, all Fabias with the Bolero/Amundsen radios have had phone mirroring enabled. However, pre 2015 week 22 cars only had MirrorLink as part of that. Adding CarPlay/Android Auto would involve replacing the entire system. Week 22 is late May IIRC, so cars on a '15' plate would be a mix of pre and post week 22. 

These early cars are MY2015 cars. MY2016 started in Week 22 of 2015. One way to tell is the steering wheels. 2015 SE models don't have a standard MFSW, while the 2016 models do. The steering wheel buttons are also slightly different. 2015 cars don't have the 'assistance systems' button, while 2016 cars do. 

@FabiaGonzales it is likely that your car is a MY 2016 car.

It is indeed, i have since confirmed with my garage.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same spec and age as mine and mine has it.

The infotainment system looks like Bolero so it should have it. 

Thanks. AG Falco

1 minute ago, Skodafabiadriver said:

Reckon that’s good for the cash then

Have you seen the service and MOT history?

Check the photo's and the spec...

Thanks. AG Falco

It’s missed one service and had a couple of mot failures with These advisories latest

I have no idea how bad these are so grateful for advice! It hasn’t had a cambelt change 

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

and failure in 2022 with 

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (5.2.3 (i))
  • Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (5.2.3 (i))

13 minutes ago, Skodafabiadriver said:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Assume these will want doing by next mot in December 2024.

Can be 2 hours labour and get the alignment checked after.

17 minutes ago, Skodafabiadriver said:

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (5.2.3 (i))
  • Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (5.2.3 (i))

Asymmetrical tyres fitted the wrong way round. What make are the front tyres?

Look at all the mot history.

CRUISE, PARK PILOT,

Check these are fitted.

Advert lists:- 

• SmartLink
  • Bolero Radio

20 minutes ago, Skodafabiadriver said:

It hasn’t had a cambelt change 

This can be looked at with just a 10 mm socket.

Thanks. AG Falco

7 minutes ago, Skodafabiadriver said:

Hmm that’s starting to sound like £1000 worth of work with the cambelt and suspension arms? 

Will the selling garage do it?

Thanks. AG Falco