GPS Week Number Rollover (Skoda SatNavs?)

rdb

Anyone know if Skoda Satnavs are effected by the following?

TomTom sent me the following in respect of an older device that I rarely use so not clear whether 2013 onwards (non TomTom) devices fitted to Octy3 would have issues?

"The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place on 6 April 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 km to 0, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0. 

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in satnavs will lose the ability to process certain functions. 

What does this mean for you? It’s time to check your satnav. Depending on your device, you may need to update or upgrade."

Cheers

I had an issue about 12 years ago when my Alpine Sat Nav stopped working due to one of the GPS satellites being switched off.  I had to run a firmware update from a DVD to fix that issue.  Unaware of anything else though.

A quick Google seems to state it's a time related thing and that most systems are designed to be able to cope with this - seems it maybe an issue more for people who design their own software.

12 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

I had an issue about 12 years ago when my Alpine Sat Nav stopped working due to one of the GPS satellites being switched off.  I had to run a firmware update from a DVD to fix that issue.  Unaware of anything else though.

A quick Google seems to state it's a time related thing and that most systems are designed to be able to cope with this - seems it maybe an issue more for people who design their own software.

Thanks for that

Topic closed I think