RCD330 into Octavia II

Hello

This morning I have started to fit a Chinese RCD330 into our 58 plate Octavia II.  All my research told me I was likely to suffer battery drain so first step was to replace and re code the Canbus gateway.

I followed the commonly linked instructions from the Golf site and found it easily enough behind the wiper motor.

I am fortunate to be on very good terms with a local garage who lent me their OBD Scanner. The software is "X-DIAG-PRO3" running on a Samsung tablet.

It was simple enough to read the current coding and transfer to the new one. That produced dozens of fault codes and a dash like a Christmas tree, but clearing all the codes sorted that out. The only persistent one was the Steering Angle sensor which would not clear or put out the dash light. Thankfully a trip round the block re-calibrated that and all is good again.

Sadly, the new head unit is smaller than the trim I removed from aound the standard Stream radio.

I think I remember reading that a different bit of trim is available to fix that, but cannot find that post. 

So, two questions

1) How do I remove the Stream, and if I do so will there be the four mounting screw positions for the new unit?

2) what bit of trim do I need to fill the gap?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Tim, Shropshire.

IMG_20190302_113428.jpg

IMG_20190302_113351.jpg

IMG_20190302_111757.jpg

IMG_20190302_111615.jpg

I think there are four screws hidden under the four removable trim pieces around the edge of the steam.

The fascia need to be designed for the Amundsen or Columbus headunits and it should fit perfectly. Just make sure the climate control section matches yours as there are a few options.

thanks for this. I sort of knew I needed an Amundsen/Columbus fascia - but was sure I has seen an actual part number on an old thread  - just can't find it again.

I'll post a wanted ad, in case anyone is breaking an Octavia with the part I need....

It is indeed very simple to remove the old Stream head unit

so I installed the new device and it works very nicely indeed.

It also turns out that an ebay search for " fascia for Skoda Octavia 2004-2010"  shows that they are easily available for not much money.

I'll live with the gap round the unit for a week or two, but otherwise the job is done. :-)

IMG_20190303_094200.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have been asked about the Canbus Gateway, so thought I'd post the details I have here.

All the research anyone can do online suggests that any car prior to 2009 would have the battery drain issue. Other sources say that a controller revision after letter L is fine.

So, looking at the one I took out it it 1K0907530Q and dated 11.07.08 .  That suggests that it is Revisions Q and would have been okay, but who knows. Also, you cannot tell which one you have unless you invest the half hour to get the wiper motor out and have a look.

Apparently the revision codes went from A-Z then started again at AA, AB, AC etc...

It is also my understanding - with no proof - that any of the later part number will be fine - like the one I installed which is 7N0907530AM made 18.06.14

There are plenty new and used on Ebay anyway.

Tim

On 07/03/2019 at 16:45, whitelion58 said:

I have been asked about the Canbus Gateway, so thought I'd post the details I have here.

All the research anyone can do online suggests that any car prior to 2009 would have the battery drain issue. Other sources say that a controller revision after letter L is fine.

So, looking at the one I took out it it 1K0907530Q and dated 11.07.08 .  That suggests that it is Revisions Q and would have been okay, but who knows. Also, you cannot tell which one you have unless you invest the half hour to get the wiper motor out and have a look.

Apparently the revision codes went from A-Z then started again at AA, AB, AC etc...

It is also my understanding - with no proof - that any of the later part number will be fine - like the one I installed which is 7N0907530AM made 18.06.14

There are plenty new and used on Ebay anyway.

Tim

Thanks for posting this and thanks for replying to me on this. Hugely helpful. Fingers crossed I can make it work now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested in getting one of these for my 2007 1z Octavia vRS.

Would you recommend? When you have time a list of the pros and cons you have had since installing would be much appreciated.

It is a brilliant device. Absolutely no down side, it just works perfectly. I got mine from AliExpress. The ones with green lights and a Skoda splash screen are more expensive than red light VW branded ones but are otherwise identical..

my son has one in his Caddy. Also be careful which model you pick. I wanted Apple carplay and Android auto, not all models have all features.

So, have a good look around and make your decision. No regrets here.

2 minutes ago, whitelion58 said:

It is a brilliant device. Absolutely no down side, it just works perfectly.

The biggest downside is no RDS or AF support on FM. The lack of external mic input isn't ideal either.

Obviously it'll depend on your use case but the RCD330 certainly isn't perfect. Good value if you don't use FM though.