Fuel gauge working but very slowly

So on my way home last night, petrol light goes on so I stop and fill the tank up (£52 of diesel), pay and then get back in car. However the light is still on, needle in the same place and the car telling me 35 miles left in the tank same as before. So I ask in the shop and make sure it’s a pump that’s working...full up a little more at a different pump (until I can see it spilling out of the top) and then drive off...still the same

As I drive home it starts to very slowly register there’s diesel in there...so after maybe 40 mins it’s telling me I have nearly half a tank. I haven’t got in it (yet) to see what it thinks today...has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

I don't know the exact model you have and if it has the little digital bars that show the fuel level or an actual gauge but this is something that does occur occasionally on Fabia's and also, on many different vehicles.

As mentioned, a float can get stuck and make you think you are low on fuel but if you know you filled up, its not a huge issue. I would be more concerned with you saying the petrol light comes on and you fill with diesel! I am a bit tongue in cheek there as many people refer to petrol stations and petrol tanks/ gauges, despite knowing their vehicle is diesel but it is one step closer to accidentally filling up with the wrong fuel so try to use the correct fuel name at filling stations and when referring to the tank and gauge-it really CAN be a big psychological difference. 

Also, if you have not yet got used to diesels, try not to overfill as spilt diesel pr diesel spilling out of an overfull tank, can be a serious threat to the stability of motorcyclists, riding behind you! Diesel does not evaporate like petrol, so will stay on the road surface and contaminate the surface of tyres and shoes soles, making them very slippery indeed. 

As for the needle, yes, they do that now and again but usually revert back to normal within say, the drive you are on or if you park up and comeback later and drive off again. To the point where sometimes, you even forget it was mis-reading in the first place. 

Welcome to Briskoda. Hope you enjoy the car.

So it’s creeping up very slowly still (I’ve done 70 miles, it’s only just above halfway now) and it edges up every time I drive it...I will keep you posted as to what happens when it gets to the right level!!

...Sounds like the old school float semi filled with fuel. I would have thought though, modern vehicles would have employed a higher tech method of fuel monitoring. 

Again, try the old battery negative disconnect thing to see if when reconnected a while later, the issue gets resolved.

Edited by mrgf

• 3 years later...