TDI 190 " Engine overheat " warning.

Hi ,

Today shortly after leaving her work my   wife got an engine overheating warning on the central display . (Stop - owners manual)

She would only have driven a couple of km,s  or so in light stop / start town traffic from a cold engine start when the warning showed up .

She immediately pulled over and stopped the engine and called me , I told her to restart and look at the temp guage , it was at approx 110 Deg on restart but quickly dropped to 90 Deg. The warning did not reappear and she  continued on her way home ( approx 50 kms) with no further reoccourance. Also did a couple for shorter journeys this evening again with no problems. 

I've checked the coolant level and it is perfect , engine looks dry with no coolant leaks evident. 

Anyone any idea,s ? Would it just have got slightly hot whilst doing a regen? I'm also thinking maybe a sticky thermostat or an issue with the water pump?

Car is a 2017 superb sportline tdi 190 2wd manual with 63000 kms that we have from new!  60k service only carried last week.

Thanks in advance, 

Brian.

Water pump cause issues, the vanes are variable and don't open fully at times and don't pump water properly as a result. Keep an eye on it, mine caused issues and the water pump was replaced.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to close this out and for information for others it turned out that it was indeed a faulty water pump . All fixed now and covered under warranty!