Removing Lower trim wing mirror o/s

Hi can anyone help how do I remove the lower plastic trim on my driver side mirror I smashed most of the casing mirror is intact and still operates fine I have replacement casings top and bottom but could do with knowing how to remove bottom trim thanks .

Edited by KENDRICK81

I will have a look in the Haynes manual tomorrow, if no-one else answers by then but I think it may not be there anyway. The top cap is quite easy, but easy to break the tabs, etc. So is the front bezel that holds it together. To be frank, I know you can get the lower part but I think its easier to swap out the whole mirror as its tricky to split.

New from Eurocarparts, etc, they come in at around £66. Less used but will almost certainly need repainting. At £66, you will have got the whole unit, motor, casing, primered pod and bezel. This, unfortunately, is a bit late for you, though!

Mrgf thanks I have a drawing from another post the top casing is completely gone with the front casing that holds it all together bottom trim is cracked and missing some plastic so needs replacing mirror and functions are fine it just looks a bit tricky to remove the bottom trim could do with seeing it done really. 

Removing wing Mirror Covers MK2

I saw that thread and it shows the approximate procedure to dismantle or reassemble the whole base. It appears you need to unscrew the unit from below, most likely from where you will see a plastic cover/plug over a hole.

Try typing the description above, into the search feature of the Briskoda site, I found it on a google search but it came from here anyway.

Thanks for guide if im reading it correctly looks like i just need to remove the upper cover (top part no1)

i dont need to disturb the bottom half or take the mirror out so shouldnt need to take the frame out.

Copied it below for future reference. It is only item 1 that i am painting so should be able to prise it out with some sort plastic hand tool

fabia-mk2-860.png

Removing lower mirror cover
1 -  Upper cover
2 -  Lower cover
Removing:
–  Remove mirror frame (Pos. 4).
–  Remove upper cover (Pos. 1).
–  Remove mirror glass (Pos. 3).
–  Disconnect plug connections for mirror heating (depending upon vehicle equipment).
–  Disconnect plug connection for electrical mirror tilting or control cable for mechanical mirror tilting (depending upon vehicle equipment).
hinweis.gif  Note
In order to maintain the proper operation of mirror tilting after reinstalling, the positions of the electrical wiring in the plug connection (necessary to be removed from the plug connection) or the control cable for the mechanical wiring must be marked!
–  Pull the electrical wiring or control cables for mirror tilting through the mirror joint.
–  Mark the fitting position of the lock washer (Pos. 8) above the spring and remove it carefully.
hinweis.gif  Note
Secure washer against jumping off in order to avoid any injury!
–  Remove spring.
–  Remove the noise insulation.
Installing:
–  Position the lower cover onto the joint.
–  Insert screw M8 (Pos. 5) from below in the joint (Pos. 7), position spring (Pos. 6), lock washer (Pos. 8), device (Pos. 9), flat washer (Pos. 10), nut (Pos. 11) as shown.
–  Mount lock washer on the bolt up to its original position by tightening the nut gradually (they have been marked before removal).
–  Further installation occurs in reverse order to removal.
hinweis.gif  Note
When installing, use new lock washer!
3 -  Mirror glass
4 -  Mirror frame
5 -  Screw M8x90
6 -  Spring
7 -  Studs
8 -  Lock washer
9 -  Tool
Use e.g. -MP3-465 (30-206)-, -T30087 (3367)-.
10 -  Flat washer
11 -  Nut - M8
12 -  Electrical line
q   Only on vehicles with electrical mirror adjustment.
q   On vehicles with mechanical mirror adjustment there are control cables instead of electrical wiring and no electrical mirror heating.

I did a bit of copy and paste, to save your search, as I already found it!

Edited by mrgf

On 26/03/2019 at 05:44, KENDRICK81 said:

Mrgf thanks I have a drawing from another post the top casing is completely gone with the front casing that holds it all together bottom trim is cracked and missing some plastic so needs replacing mirror and functions are fine it just looks a bit tricky to remove the bottom trim could do with seeing it done really. 

On 26/03/2019 at 11:43, mrgf said:

Thanks for guide if im reading it correctly looks like i just need to remove the upper cover (top part no1)

i dont need to disturb the bottom half or take the mirror out so shouldnt need to take the frame out.

Copied it below for future reference. It is only item 1 that i am painting so should be able to prise it out with some sort plastic hand tool

fabia-mk2-860.png

Removing lower mirror cover
1 -  Upper cover
2 -  Lower cover
Removing:
–  Remove mirror frame (Pos. 4).
–  Remove upper cover (Pos. 1).
–  Remove mirror glass (Pos. 3).
–  Disconnect plug connections for mirror heating (depending upon vehicle equipment).
–  Disconnect plug connection for electrical mirror tilting or control cable for mechanical mirror tilting (depending upon vehicle equipment).
hinweis.gif  Note
In order to maintain the proper operation of mirror tilting after reinstalling, the positions of the electrical wiring in the plug connection (necessary to be removed from the plug connection) or the control cable for the mechanical wiring must be marked!
–  Pull the electrical wiring or control cables for mirror tilting through the mirror joint.
–  Mark the fitting position of the lock washer (Pos. 8) above the spring and remove it carefully.
hinweis.gif  Note
Secure washer against jumping off in order to avoid any injury!
–  Remove spring.
–  Remove the noise insulation.
Installing:
–  Position the lower cover onto the joint.
–  Insert screw M8 (Pos. 5) from below in the joint (Pos. 7), position spring (Pos. 6), lock washer (Pos. 8), device (Pos. 9), flat washer (Pos. 10), nut (Pos. 11) as shown.
–  Mount lock washer on the bolt up to its original position by tightening the nut gradually (they have been marked before removal).
–  Further installation occurs in reverse order to removal.
hinweis.gif  Note
When installing, use new lock washer!
3 -  Mirror glass
4 -  Mirror frame
5 -  Screw M8x90
6 -  Spring
7 -  Studs
8 -  Lock washer
9 -  Tool
Use e.g. -MP3-465 (30-206)-, -T30087 (3367)-.
10 -  Flat washer
11 -  Nut - M8
12 -  Electrical line
q   Only on vehicles with electrical mirror adjustment.
q   On vehicles with mechanical mirror adjustment there are control cables instead of electrical wiring and no electrical mirror heating.

I did a bit of copy and paste, to save your search, as I already found it!

On 25/03/2019 at 19:35, KENDRICK81 said:

Hi can anyone help how do I remove the lower plastic trim on my driver side mirror I smashed most of the casing mirror is intact and still operates fine I have replacement casings top and bottom but could do with knowing how to remove bottom trim thanks .

Is there a special tool to get the locking washer off I just can't see where I'm able to undo the bottom trim there is a plastic plug cover underneath but there's nothing to undo it stumped .

Aaaah, yeah, if the lower casing is intact, the job is easy. Remove the front bezel, (4), either remove glass (3) for safety or leave it, if confident, and gently unclip top cap (1) If this is all you need off, to paint. Reverse procedure to re-fit.

Its when he lower casing is mangled, the difficulty starts to increase. The actual complete unit is pretty much held on by three screws, inside the door, with a small to moderate amount of trim removal and wire unclipping. 

So you know, the top caps can be obtained, fully painted, from an eBay guy, for about £35 posted... As the cheapest premiered version is usually around £12 - £15, the painted price is quite good.

The bottom trim is just missing some plastic at the end so it needs replacing the bottom trim must be able to come off at the joint surely I can't see how though well and truly stumped and no one seems to know. 

looks like the diagram shows a screw, the mirror you have, a spring clip washer or star washer. It looks like you could prise off that washer tab by tab and perhaps re-shape it or fit a new one but may be too painful a job.

I think you are mean to come in directly from below, screw number 5 in the diagram. It has a little plastic cover hiding it. it is not accessible from inside the casing.

Edited by mrgf

7 minutes ago, mrgf said:

looks like the diagram shows a screw, the mirror you have, a spring clip washer or star washer. It looks like you could prise off that washer tab by tab and perhaps re-shape it or fit a new one but may be too painful a job.

I think you are mean to come in directly from below, screw number 5 in the diagram. It has a little plastic cover hiding it. it is not accessible from inside the casing.

I took it off mate there's a metal frame inside it seems to be one piece there's nothing I can see to get it off I've removed the old one will have to order a whole unit thanks anyway.