Car audio advice

Hi, im just looking for some advice. Ive had my Fabia 1.2 2006 (Engine code: BME) for a few weeks now and i can’t stand how poor quality the stock speakers are. 2 stock speakers at the front (cant tell if the tweeters work), none at the back (or they are not working) and the symphony stereo. I really want to upgrade the front and back speakers and add a head unit. Will this be viable? Can the current alternator (70 amp, if im not mistaken) handle a upgrade without it draining the battery? I don’t want nothing over the top. Just decent quality speakers front and back and a 1din head unit.

i’d appreciate any insight.

Fabia Fan- some details on your vehicle might help. e.g. - mine is a 2004 1.4Tdi . But within that range there are a few variations dependant on vehicle Specification. Mine is a Classic, which means it has only  front speakers. But to me ( I spent many years as  A telecoms engineer, where part of my job was to set up/monitor outside BBC broadcast circuits ,where audio quality was the norm) , the sound out of my (only) front speakers is excellent. I'd suggest from looking at the rear plugs on other decent ICE stuff that there's provision for a four speaker system. But then, you will have to fit speakers in the rear doors /fit wiring and protection to rear doors.

Edited by VWD

3 minutes ago, VWD said:

Fabia Fan- some details on your vehicle might help. e.g. - mine is a 2004 1.4Tdi . But within that rang there are a few variations dependant on vehicle Specification. Mine is a Classic, which means it has only  front speakers. But to me ( I spent many years as  A telecoms engineer, where part of my job was to set up/monitor outside BBC broadcast circuits ,where audio quality was the norm) , the sound out of my (only) front speakers is excellent. I'd suggest from looking at the rear plugs on other decent ICE

Sorry mate. Its a 1.2 12V Sport. Cheers i will check that. Although its a Sport trim, i'm sure they didn't bother using any quality speakers from i've heard already.

FF- you might want to check out how easy it might be to cable ( with rubber door connectors (if not fitted)  from th head unit to the rear doors. However, if the car has rear door centrallocking, then it wil have th needed connecting tubs.

5 minutes ago, VWD said:

FF- you might want to check out how easy it might be to cable ( with rubber door connectors (if not fitted)  from th head unit to the rear doors. However, if the car has rear door centrallocking, then it wil have th needed connecting tubs.

No problem i will definitely look into that, cheers. But in regards to the power being added from the speakers and head unit, the car\alternator will be able to handle it?

5 hours ago, FabiaFan1 said:

Can the current alternator (70 amp, if im not mistaken) handle a upgrade without it draining the battery? 

It's not an issue.

A mid rang system  will give out say 20 watt. ( lets up that for the maths to 24 w) . And that's then drawing 2A from the charge system at full blast ( and  I never run my system past halfway, unless I stop beside a kid with hearing problems ). Now look at the parking lights on when you park up . Four 5w lamps ,plus two numberplate lamps. At most 24w. OK-unless you lave the parking lights on overnight. Simple comparison .

As said- not a problem( unless you leave it on at half blast overnight)

Edited by VWD

1 hour ago, VWD said:

A mid rang system  will give out say 20 watt. ( lets up that for the maths to 24 w) . And that's then drawing 2A from the charge system at full blast ( and  I never run my system past halfway, unless I stop beside a kid with hearing problems ). Now look at the parking lights on when you park up . Four 5w lamps ,plus two numberplate lamps. At most 24w. OK-unless you lave the parking lights on overnight. Simple comparison .

As said- not a problem( unless you leave it on at half blast overnight)

Thanks for the reply. Presumably you're talking about RMS watts. I was actually looking at a pair of 40 watt (RMS) Pioneer ones for the front for £35 (250watt max. power input). Should i reconsider?

dont get hung up on figures, you can run a pretty powerful system with a separate amp and sub with no issues.

Car audio draw is tiny unless you are playing it without the engine running for extended periods at high volume.

A speakers upgrade will give slight improvements but you cannot fit deep front speakers due to the depth of the doors. You will also need speaker adapters as the standard speakers are riveted to the door.

I fitted a 2 way system to my front doors with a crossover, separate amplifier and subwoofer and all wired up with decent audio cable. The sound is good from just the front speakers but there is still little bass produced due to the small doors. A sub makes a much better improvement if you like bass.

Edited by JWvrs25

3 hours ago, JWvrs25 said:

dont get hung up on figures, you can run a pretty powerful system with a separate amp and sub with no issues.

Car audio draw is tiny unless you are playing it without the engine running for extended periods at high volume.

A speakers upgrade will give slight improvements but you cannot fit deep front speakers due to the depth of the doors. You will also need speaker adapters as the standard speakers are riveted to the door.

I fitted a 2 way system to my front doors with a crossover, separate amplifier and subwoofer and all wired up with decent audio cable. The sound is good from just the front speakers but there is still little bass produced due to the small doors. A sub makes a much better improvement if you like bass.

Cheers. I appreciate the the help. Im definitely gonna take go ahead and upgrade. Probably wont as far as an amp and sub, just front and back speaker upgrade.

Simple to work out load on Alternator- Watts = Amps times volts.  For a 70Amp alternator, that's 12x70 = 840 Watts. But if you get to stage I see round here, where the Amp etc needs a cable as thick as a starter cable, then it's think again.

But looking back at where you mention upgrading speakers- it's not the speakers that use power, but the head unit.  Personally, I can't find fault with the front door pair in mine. But then I'm looking at how ear degradation works in us oldies. Speakers are the end product.

Edited by VWD