New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..

Ootohere

Excellent incentive, shame about inclusion of plug-in hybrids though. Should be restricted to those that can receive the £3500 discount, which helps push the EV range of plug-in hybrids.

I'd be all over this for UK launch of Model 3 if it's nation wide :(

the only thing with this is that EST are very slow at processing applications. When I bought my car I wasn't able to use this as they were taking around 8 weeks to process the application - which is no good if you're buying a second hand car

• Like 1

You can only pay the Deposit before getting the loan.

It is lovely if you might have £20,000-£25,000 or so savings, but not going to help to buy an ex-demonstrator that is less than 12 months old and has done less than 6,000 miles which is the only 2nd hand EV cars you can buy with the loan.

12 hours ago, Skoffski said:

You can only pay the Deposit before getting the loan.

It is lovely if you might have £20,000-£25,000 or so savings, but not going to help to buy an ex-demonstrator that is less than 12 months old and has done less than 6,000 miles which is the only 2nd hand EV cars you can buy with the loan.

yeah plus you can't apply if you've already bought the car

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dundee Council introduces charging for charging, but there are still incentives to use an EV.

There is a residents discount for private use vehicles.

https://eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/sponsored-power-to-the-people-as-electric-car-drivers-in-dundee-rocket

https://theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/16/dundee-green-revolution-charging-hubs-electric-cabs-scotland

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 5 weeks later...

Advice gratefully received from anyone in the know,

Not seen posts for a while from @domhnall and some assistance required on EV charging in Scotland.

I have used Instavolt Charging paying with a Debit / Credit card. sorted with that for Rapid Charging and paying,

Also used a charger for free with 'ChargePlace Scotland Access card' that was in the vehicles.

https://instavolt.co.uk

So i will pay the £20 to get a card, and i have lodged bank details with them.

http://chargeplacescotland.org

Got the Apps for these on my phone, & Zapmap.

So to the 'Polar-network'.

I might need to use them at some places, does anyone pay the £7.85 a month and use these?

http://polar-network.com

?

Anything else i need in Scotland?

Edited by Roottootemoot

14 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

I might need to use them at some places, does anyone pay the £7.85 a month and use these?

?

So far, over 2 years, I'm used 3 Email addresses to get three 3-month free trial membership. 

Their rapids will all have contactless payment over the next year. So I don't see any point in getting paid memberships. (unless you rely on their slow chargers every day with no alternatives) 

https://www.zap-map.com/polar-rolls-out-contactless-payment-on-rapid-chargers/

13 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

How accurate/reliable do people find zapmap? 

It's crowd updated information. So very reliable for newly reported broken chargers, because people want somewhere to vent. But not reliable on whether charger gets fixed, or at low traffic locations.  

In another words, it's not real time information. And you can be the one doing the reporting. 

• Thanks 1

@wyx087 Cheers.

I have been swinging past Rapid Chargers in Scotland where i know i will need to be charging and there are many out of order, and ones that are being installed and the installation never completed and they are blocked off while fast chargers next to them are in operation.

There are several places i know i will have to be paying at a private yards to get a Rapid Charge.

Taxi / Valet / Courier type places.

eg

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 07.38.18.png

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 07.40.29.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Some help please.  Anyone in the know.

Before i go ask an explanation from dealership employees.

The model i am getting says it has a 11kW charger built in, the model below has nothing said about that, just that there is a charger on board.

So is it 7.5 kW, or the same 11kW. and does it make a difference.

Does the car only Rapid Charge at a 50kW charger (100kW if available), and fast charge at a 22kW ?

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vauxhall-corsa-e-ride-review-and-new-details-ev-supermini

Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 11.24.13.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

26 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

The model i am getting says it has a 11kW charger built in, the model below has nothing said about that, just that there is a charger on board.

So is it 7.5 kW, or the same 11kW. and does it make a difference.

Does the car only Rapid Charge at a 50kW charger (100kW if available), and fast charge at a 22kW ?

22 kW is 3 phase 32 amp AC, does not look like your car will support this. 

11 kW is 3 phase 16 amp AC. 

7 kW is 1 phase 32 amp AC. 

Your home is likely to be single phase AC. So maximum speed you can charge is 7 kW. Unless you re-wire your house supply at ££££ 

Overnight charging speed does not make any difference what so ever, it doesn't matter whether it takes 7 hours or 5 hours to do overnight charging. It will only matter if you are on short 5 hour 5p/kWh tariff. 

Rapid charge will rapid charge at fastest rate supported by the car and the charger. Slowest always wins. 

If charger can only charge at 50 kW, you will charge at 50 kW. 

If charger can support 150 kW, but your are trying to charge a full-ish battery, you will receive the maximum rate battery can take. 

• Thanks 1

@wyx087

Cheers, home charging was not bothering me, it was where there was just a 22kW charge point available. 

So that would mean it charges just the same as if it was a 7.4 kW Wall box.

?

Is that right?

Off to see how the salesman's training went on the finer points or important stuff.

At 22 kW charge points. It's another way of saying it is 32 amp 3 phase AC. 

Your car (according to your earlier posts, I hadn't checked) supports 16 amp 3 phase AC (11 kW). 

So, your car should charge at 11 kW at 22 kW charge points. 

Slightly quicker than single phase 7 kW chargers.  (at home, for example)

3 phase is more popular over in Europe mainland. In UK, most charge points I've seen are single phase 7 kW. 

A car only capable of single phase, like lower trim 7 kW onboard charger, or my 3.3 kW Leaf, can still use 3-phase chargers, it will only utilise 1 phase.

So in this sense, the charge point amp rating is more important: A 11 kW 16 amp 3 phase charge point will only charge 1 phase cars at 3.6 kW! 

I'm assuming your 11 kW onboard charger is like all other EV's, where it is able to combine 2 of its 16 amp onboard charger to charge at 32 amps when only single phase is available. 

Edited by wyx087
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@wyx087

Ta muckle.

Salesman has had his training and i will catch up on it all next week.    

I see what you mean, and i spotted the bit at the bottom of this page.

Driving one next week and not caring about cable storage, a push bike will be in the back with seats down and no point putting cables under the floor if you can not get to them with stuff in the boot / on the floor.

Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 13.26.47.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2019 at 16:30, Roottootemoot said:

Advice gratefully received from anyone in the know,

Not seen posts for a while from @domhnall and some assistance required on EV charging in Scotland.

I have used Instavolt Charging paying with a Debit / Credit card. sorted with that for Rapid Charging and paying,

Also used a charger for free with 'ChargePlace Scotland Access card' that was in the vehicles.

https://instavolt.co.uk

So i will pay the £20 to get a card, and i have lodged bank details with them.

http://chargeplacescotland.org

Got the Apps for these on my phone, & Zapmap.

?

hello, sorry been busy elsewhere, driving my EV up to Inverness and back 🙂

What's the issue? POlar is not worth the subscription in Scotland, best bet is the £20 per year CPS card. You can also use PAYG chargers like Instavolt and Engenie.

I wnt up the A9 last weekend and back down agaon. The only chargers out of action were Dalwhinnie and Dunkeld - both old chargers awaiting spare parts as I understand it. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2019 at 12:03, Roottootemoot said:

@wyx087

Cheers, home charging was not bothering me, it was where there was just a 22kW charge point available. 

So that would mean it charges just the same as if it was a 7.4 kW Wall box.

?

Is that right?

Off to see how the salesman's training went on the finer points or important stuff.

most of the destination chargers here (ie you have to use your own cable) are 22kw.  My leaf can only charge at 6kw on these but cars like the zoecan use the full 22. The new VW ID will do 11 as I understand it.

• Like 3

Cheers.

Those chargers are the ones i would be using when around there for a while and not just passing.

The new rapid down the road from me was on tonight.

I thought i might need Polar around Aberdeen.

I get 3 months free membership BP Chargemaster.  I have the CPS card now.

2 Instavolt chargers sitting unused all the time just 1/2 a mile away from my house.

Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 21.21.47.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Whilst good to have rapids nearby, if you run your car solely on expensive rapid chargers, it's not going to save you money compared to driving petrol/diesel cars. Best to have a home charger installed and switch to cheap night time tarrif. 

Nice to see Scotland, just like 2016 ref and recent election, are forward thinking and have put 3-phase 22kW destination chargers in place. 

• Thanks 1