How do I change the pollen filter on a Mk.3?

I've spent ages trying to work out how to change the pollen filter on my Mk.3. I can't find any info on the web whatsoever except some stuff that defaults to older Fabias, Octavias and Superbs. I assume that the filter is behind the glove box but I'm not even sure of that. Two screws underneath the box are virtually inaccessible plus three screws along the top of the glove box that are also quite difficult to access. I'm not even sure if these screws are relevant. I'd be very grateful for advice, especially from anyone who has done this replacement.

Have you tried looking up the Mann website, select your model and age of car, go to cabin filter and usually there is a guide to replacing it - these same guide that comes in the package with the filter. I’ve replaced the filter on my wife’s 2015 Polo and I’d expect it to be the same as a MK3 Fabia in that respect - but at the moment I can’t remember how I did it.

52 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Have you tried looking up the Mann website, select your model and age of car, go to cabin filter and usually there is a guide to replacing it - these same guide that comes in the package with the filter. I’ve replaced the filter on my wife’s 2015 Polo and I’d expect it to be the same as a MK3 Fabia in that respect - but at the moment I can’t remember how I did it.

Thank you very much. There's no way I would have worked that out without your suggestion about the Mann filter information.

The cabin air filter is in the passenger footwell under the glove compartment, towards the centre of the car. It's retained by sliding collars. Move them, the filter drops out. Reverse to install.

Edited by ettlz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bertJ said:

Thank you very much. There's no way I would have worked that out without your suggestion about the Mann filter information.

I’m glad you got there okay, after posting that suggestion, based on memory, I tried getting into the Mann website area I needed to - and failed!

19 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I’m glad you got there okay, after posting that suggestion, based on memory, I tried getting into the Mann website area I needed to - and failed!

Try this -

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/vehicle/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Vehicles/CARS + TRANSPORTERS/SKODA;jsessionid=68F2D2A7D2DE2E99458CF214D9C27416

Thanks again

14 hours ago, bertJ said:

I was using an iPad mini to post that reply and used that same device to then check up that you could still find that info on the Mann website, and something very strange was happening while I was using that website as sensible/logical navigation was impossible, initially I even had trouble inputting Skoda - and did not ever get offered a model option, so it was game over, maybe just a website short term issue, but it made me feel a bit stupid offering that advice which I just a minute later could not use!  Glad things sorted themselves out and it worked for you, as it now is back working for me!

Have you ever considered waiting for "the best" discount to come up on ECP and get a Fresicious version of that Mann filter, I did a few years back and have them in both cars, bought at a very good price from ECP?

I took the filter out this afternoon with no trouble whatsoever and found that it was a bit grubby but nothing serious. I thought of changing the filter because I have severe hay fever but the car's only done 8k miles in 3 years (one careful, previous owner)  so I'm not sure if a new filter will help.

However, putting the filter back was very easy until I tried to get the plastic base back!  After a long struggle I realised that it's simpler to 'click' the clips back on when the plastic base is back in rather than trying to put the plastic base in with the clips located in the open position. It's no fun reclining on your back with your head in the foot well and feet on the ground outside!

BTW, Europarts have one of their usual part's discount available for the next two days - EGG80

The Frecious version should work best for you then, these sliding clips - probably a piece of cake to use if you are changing filters every week, but for most mortals they can be a bit annoying, I thought the VW Group change to the positioning of this filter in Polo/Fabia/Ibiza had made things a bit easier, it used to be very annoying inverting yourself and doing that job when it resided below the glove box, I've only ever checked the filter on my wife's 2015 Polo once when it was just over a year old, and it was the correct one and I cleaned it up a bit, checked it the next year after VW had serviced it and discovered that they had removed the filter with carbon coating and replaced it with a plain one - in VW world cars without auto AC get a basic filter and cars with auto AC get the one with carbon coating - so that and the appearance of the Frecious version at a "good ECP discount" lead me to grab a Frecious one and replace that basic one - and do the same for my own car! This August I should really renew that Frecious so I need to look out for a "special special" ECP discount offer which I think historically comes along in May.  

BTW, ECP discounts, I bought a pair of rear dampers for a late 2009 Ibiza last week on a "good" offer discount, I knew that better deals usually come along but I needed to get that job finished by last Saturday, so I was slightly annoyed when a "even better" discount appeared last Monday, so, maybe as you do, I checked how much more money I could have saved if I had waited for that better deal - it would have cost me £1.76 more, so not everything is what you might assume it to be!

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2019 at 10:42, rum4mo said:

The Frecious version should work best for you then, these sliding clips - probably a piece of cake to use if you are changing filters every week, but for most mortals they can be a bit annoying, I thought the VW Group change to the positioning of this filter in Polo/Fabia/Ibiza had made things a bit easier, it used to be very annoying inverting yourself and doing that job when it resided below the glove box, I've only ever checked the filter on my wife's 2015 Polo once when it was just over a year old, and it was the correct one and I cleaned it up a bit, checked it the next year after VW had serviced it and discovered that they had removed the filter with carbon coating and replaced it with a plain one - in VW world cars without auto AC get a basic filter and cars with auto AC get the one with carbon coating - so that and the appearance of the Frecious version at a "good ECP discount" lead me to grab a Frecious one and replace that basic one - and do the same for my own car! This August I should really renew that Frecious so I need to look out for a "special special" ECP discount offer which I think historically comes along in May.  

BTW, ECP discounts, I bought a pair of rear dampers for a late 2009 Ibiza last week on a "good" offer discount, I knew that better deals usually come along but I needed to get that job finished by last Saturday, so I was slightly annoyed when a "even better" discount appeared last Monday, so, maybe as you do, I checked how much more money I could have saved if I had waited for that better deal - it would have cost me £1.76 more, so not everything is what you might assume it to be!

To save money, it might be worth checking https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ - Same company as ECP but often cheaper and they do discount codes as well :thumbup: