2010 Octavia II 1.9 PD DSG

muntaha

Hi!

I am in the process of finalising a 2010 1.9PD Laura (In India, Octavia II elsewhere).

Was wondering if it's a good buy?

It has run 70000 kms and is in immaculate condition (Atleast from the pics)

Anything specific I have to look for? 

Am upgrading from a 2008 Suzuki SX4 CNG+Petrol.

This will be used as my primary and only means of transport.

Cannot afford the 2.0 CRDi as of now.

Valuable suggestions requested.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 09.42.15 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 09.42.15.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 09.42.16 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 09.42.16 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 09.42.16 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 09.42.16.jpeg

Welcome to Briskoda!

I think your view on 'immaculate' is different to mine. The Octavia in your pictures looks pretty rough, cosmetically.

The 1.9 PD engine is pretty tough, one of the toughest engines VAG ever made actually, the trade-off being that its pretty agricultural / noisey.

Not sure I'd be brave enough to buy a DSG version though, especially given the condition of the outside of the car. What's the service history, has the DSG gearbox ever had it's oil changed?

Is it 4x4? The rear suspension seems very high. Perhaps all Laura's destined for India got the Rough Road Package?

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

All Laura/Octavia in India get the Rough Road Package. 

However, I checked the car today and yours observation is spot on! The car was in pretty bad shape. In fact, had been involved in a frontal collision and the repairs were shoddy to say the least. Needless to say, I walked away. 

Still in the market for the said car though. 

What do you recommend - 1.9PD or spend the extra 30% (approx) and go for the 2.0CR? Need good fuel efficiency and reliability.

Fuel efficiency = 6 speed 2.0 CR140

Reliability = 5 speed 1.9 PD105

To be fair both engines are good, but the CR feels lightyears ahead in terms of refinement.

Does the 2.0 CR140 have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in India? Can be troublesome on older/higher mileage cars, especially ones that only do short journeys.

• Like 1

We have both the engines in either 5M or 6DSG format. 

For the DPF, I have to check and revert. 

Read on this forum that u can bypass it.

Is it recommended? Is it a costly affair?

Skoda is considered to be a Luxury Brand in our part of the world. 

The DPF (if fitted) can easily be removed, although you do have to map the car to code out the various sensors that tell the car what the DPF is doing.

It's illegal to use a car on the road here in the UK, with the DPF removed, I'm guessing the rules might not be so strict or closely monitored in India?

The ideal combination (for me), would be the 6 speed manual, non-DPF, CR140 for fuel economy and reliability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

The DPF (if fitted) can easily be removed, although you do have to map the car to code out the various sensors that tell the car what the DPF is doing.

It's illegal to use a car on the road here in the UK, with the DPF removed, I'm guessing the rules might not be so strict or closely monitored in India?

The ideal combination (for me), would be the 6 speed manual, non-DPF, CR140 for fuel economy and reliability.

DPF and other things not at all monitored here. Unless of course we pass the Pollution Test every 6 months. But I think it's rigged and can easily be bypassed. 

We don't get a 6 speed manual. Only the 5 speed one. 

For 6 speed need to go the dsg route. 

Shopping around for these but seems well maintained cars are far and few.

Now including the Chevrolet Cruze and Skoda Superb in my options. 

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

Don't please don't :D

Image result for chevrolet cruze

is it that bad a car? I loved the engine and handling. 

That's another story that Chevy has shut shop in India and we don't get spares no  more..

I'm only joking, Chevrolet has a relatively poor reputation here in the UK, and sold very few cars until they stopped selling them completely at the end of 2015.

With General Motors and Suzuki origins I'm sure it's a perfectly capable car, just not a patch on the Octavia. The Skoda is (in my opinion) several leagues ahead. The Superb is a few more ahead of the Octavia.

• Like 1

Hello again

Now looking at this 

2009, 5MT, diesel, the owner didn't mention the engine whether 1.9 or 2.0 but mostly 1.9PD.

Full service records. 

Will check the car tomorrow. 

Any heads up?

Screenshot_20190508-022530.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022555.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022547.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022613.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022604.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022632.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022623.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022653.jpg

Screenshot_20190508-022644.jpg

It's a 1.9 TDI PD105, you can tell by the twin down-turned exhaust tailpipes.

The idle engine speed seems high at 950rpm, unless the outside temperature is very cold and the engine isn't up to temperature, then it should be closer to 750rpm.

You like your light coloured interiors in India, the downside being that on older cars they look very grubby and detract from the appeal of the car.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

It's a 1.9 TDI PD105, you can tell by the twin down-turned exhaust tailpipes.

The idle engine speed seems high at 950rpm, unless the outside temperature is very cold and the engine isn't up to temperature, then it should be closer to 750rpm.

You like your light coloured interiors in India, the downside being that on older cars they look very grubby and detract from the appeal of the car.

hi

Yes it is a 105bhp 1.9TDI Ambiente 

Almost finalized 

Interiors have all been changed and renewed. 

All suspension changed 

Steering linkages changed. 

Drives good. No rattles or squeaks. No crashes. 

But the torque is too low for my liking. Is it the characteristic of this engine or a fault with the car?

And what are your thoughts if I buy it and plan to use as my primary car for next 3-4 years?

Edited by muntaha

The PD105's torque comes all at once, a real shove in the back when the turbo is on song. Some people claim it is too abrupt.

The 'PD punch' was replaced with a much more linear torque curve when all diesel engines moved to CR (common rail).

If there's no shove of propulsion between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm under medium to hard acceleration then something is wrong.

I'd also be worried about the raised rpm at idle.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2019 at 23:03, silver1011 said:

The PD105's torque comes all at once, a real shove in the back when the turbo is on song. Some people claim it is too abrupt.

The 'PD punch' was replaced with a much more linear torque curve when all diesel engines moved to CR (common rail).

If there's no shove of propulsion between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm under medium to hard acceleration then something is wrong.

I'd also be worried about the raised rpm at idle.

Hi!

Bit the pill and took delivery of the Silver one in the post above. 

It's a 1.9PD 5MT Facelift like you said. 

Feels good to drive. The suspension feels on the stiffer side compared to my previous SX4.

Any suggestions as to what to do with it first?? Have filled up the fuel 😁

• Like 1