1.2 TSI timing chain upgrade

boxed

Hi Guys,

I current own a VW Golf 6 1.2TSI 66KW/88bhp variant.

I've seen some of posts regarding 1.2 TSI camchain issues and what to look out for. I read one post titled  "2013 1.2 TSI timing chain" saying that the chain design was revised in 2011.

My car's production date was September 2011, and the car currently has about 75000km/46,000miles on the clock. Because of these known issues I'm starting to worry whether a timing chain problem may occur, even though I take care of the car with regular oil changes, service intervals etc.

Since it seems that there are people who know a lot about the subject, I was wondering if anybody could tell me the month in 2011 which the timing chain was revised...just to have a piece of mind.

Many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

it's a bit of a can of worms really. The cut-in date for the updated/upgraded chain differs across manufacturers and from model to model that use the "same" engine, CBZ-X. Skoda go some way to help you, in that at least they list a "chain-kit" so you can order one off the shelf.

I have a Polo Tsi and have been trying to work out the chronology of when and where the different chain and tensioner types cut-in.

For the Polo. They originally rolled out of the factory with  03F 109 158 B (The chain that was made out of cheese!) Shortly after that it was updated to 03F 109 158 K (this was just an update, better design, better quality, but same size) There is also an updated chain cover 03F109210D

A completely new chain appeared 7/11/11. This 03F109158was a redesign, and was wider/stronger than the previous chains, requiring different sprockets. The associated tensioners that go with them were also updated, as were the chain guides.

I had a little look at Etka for the 2011 Golf and it only appears to list 03F 109 158 K, so the updated chain anyway.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2010-649/1/109-109052/#1

As I understand it, this fixes the "stretching" but they can still rattle on start-up.

Vdud are rubbish. They don't do a chain kit and they won't tell you the parts you need for your vehicle. Though they will sell them to you, but not tell you the part numbers first!! 

Skoda sell a complete kit so you can convert from the "K" to a "G" and a couple of guys have successfully performed the swap on Polo's and Audi-A1. However Vdud do not list it at all. 

Just to make it interesting they updated the tensioner again 1/1/16 03F 109 507 F

Many thanks for your response.

I did a little research after you gave the revised part numbers, and it does indeed seem that VW semi-updated the chain for the Golf 6 with part number 03F 109 158 K, and after November 2011 with fully updated chain with part number 03F 109 158 G.

There's an interesting (Australian) article which says how to determine whether your car has the semi-updated chain or not by looking at the production number sticker on the boost pressure pipe: http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf&gen=937

From this website it says that Skoda CBZ engines had the exact same chain issues as the VW.

According to these production/engine numbers,  my car should have the semi-updated chain (K)...at least it's not the one made out of cheese🧀

Capture.JPG

Edited by boxed

Yeah, that information pop's up in a number of threads. I checked mine and it looks like a very early engine CBZ 064XXX with a date stamp of 24/11/10. I bought mine new in April of 2011. Unfortunately that means mine has early type chain😢

I've not had any issues as yet other than an odd little "rasp" starting from cold. That said the car has only done 30,000 miles so is coming up on the zone where people are seeing problems. I spoke to one independent VW chappie who guessed it would be in the region of £450 + parts to replace. (though that was just a quick estimate) That sounds on the low side. I've seen figures ranging from £700-£1400 so it's one to save up for!!

• 1 year later...
On 24/05/2019 at 19:22, DampDog said:

I have a Polo 1.2 TSI and have been trying to work out the chronology of when and where the different chain and tensioner types cut-in.

For the Polo:
They originally rolled out of the factory with  03F 109 158 B  ( The chain that was made out of cheese! )
Shortly after that it was updated to 03F 109 158 K  ( this was just an update, better design, better quality, but same size ) 
There is also an updated chain cover  03F 109 210 D
As I understand it, this new "K" chain fixes the "stretching" but engine can still rattle on start-up.
SKODA sell a complete kit so you can convert from the "K" to a "G"

A completely new chain appeared 7/11/11.
This 03F 109 158 G  was a redesign, and was wider/stronger than the previous chains, requiring different sprockets. 
The associated tensioners that go with them were also updated, as were the chain guides.

Just to make it interesting they updated the tensioner again 1/1/16 --->   03F 109 507 F

I'm buying a late built 2010  ( Model year 2011 ) Fabia 1.2 TSI SCOUT ( 105 Hp. ) with 150000 Km.  ( 93206 Miles )
Engine code: CBZB

I want to immediately do preventive service on the engine.
Are the following parts the latest, best and strongest available ?

# 03F 109 210 D , Chain cover ( updated )
# 03F 109 507 F , Chain tensioner  ( updated )
# 03F 109 158 G , Timing chain ( updated )

What more parts do I need to buy to make everything fit and work together ?