Starting issues on 1.6tdi sel dsg

Stuartway

I have just purchased a new 1.6tdi dsg Karoq and I am having issues with starting. It can take 2 or 3 seconds to start and turned over a lot prior when cold or hot. Also it will overrun on the starting motor and grind. Lastly the start stop stops prior to stoping at junctions and then takes a few seconds to start again which has been dangerous at getting away. Has anybody had similar issues asi am unsure they are taking this seriously. Thanks. 

This sounds like (no pun intended) like a fault with the Starter Motor, my 1.6 TDI DSG has never had these sort of issues with starting in the 1Yr and 20K miles I have owned it.  Suggest you take it back to the dealer, complain and get them look at the problem.

The auto start-stop is a different topic entirely, my experiences: The auto-start stop is a bit slow to re-engage, when waiting at junctions I tend to override it and just leave the engine idling.  At traffic lights I tend to 'flick' the wheel when the lights change to amber so that by time they are green the engine is started and ready to go.  Remember in the SEL you will have auto-hold, so there will always be a bit of a delay when you accelerate as the DSG works out the direction of travel and overcomes the inertia required to dis-engage the auto-hold.  You also have to deal with the lag on the 1.6 TDI.  So my advice if you want to try and pull out quickly from a junction is to switch off the start-stop, switch off the auto-hold, put the DSG box into "S" and hold the car on the foot brake.  When you take your foot off the brake to start pulling out the car will begin to creep and in sports mode the acceleration will pickup quickly meaning you should be able to pull out safely.

Hope this helps.

thank you this is helpful, as you wonder what should be the norm.

I previously had an Octavia 1.6tdi SEL but Manual and that always started straight away.

Noted on the start stop I will give that a try and I have already booked it in.

thanks again

There was a bad batch of MOLL branded batteries from late 2017 / early 2018, which sounds too long ago to affect your Karoq.

The best thing to do, if your dealer is being awkward, is to film the issue on your mobile phone. After proving the issue exists you can drop the car off, jump in a courtesy car and ask them to call you when its fixed.

The other option, and the one I'd pursue, would be to use the services you've paid for, Skoda Assist. Ring them up and tell them that either the car won't start, or that you believe it's unsafe to drive it to the dealer. They'll send out a technician (usually from the RAC) and arrange for the car to be transported to the dealer, and for a hire car to be delivered to your door. All done from the comfort of your favourite chair.

Edited by silver1011

My also occasionally takes 2-3 sec to start in the morning. Had no issues during winter but noticed such long start when outside temp is about 10 C. After this first start, both start-stop and normal starting is just a split of second.

Good advise is to make a movie recording as proof for dealer. 

Yet I read somewhere that there can be a reason for initial long star, but there was no conclusive explanation.(cannot find that thread now)

Anyhow, as we are on 1.6 TDI and DSG I would kindly ask you to look at my other thread regarding engine vibration / shudder in 1200rpm range and share your experience

Update on start issues:

I changed from Shell VPower to some other (MOL Hungary) fuel and for several mornings I don't have prolonged starting.

Still to verify, but you may also try to change fuel and see results.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I have managed to get it into the garage and we have an identical loan car which is completely different in a lot of ways.  We seem to have problems with the electrics, locking, starting, start stop is not working as it should so they are taking this one seriously i hope.  will update when I get the car back.

Also regarding the vibrations at low revs:  My car on that is fine, but the loan car I have is very droany and does vibrate at low revs quite a lot it seems to hold in low gears to much and is stubborn to change down.  Hope that helps

On 20/05/2019 at 12:39, dave_knight said:

This sounds like (no pun intended) like a fault with the Starter Motor, my 1.6 TDI DSG has never had these sort of issues with starting in the 1Yr and 20K miles I have owned it.  Suggest you take it back to the dealer, complain and get them look at the problem.

The auto start-stop is a different topic entirely, my experiences: The auto-start stop is a bit slow to re-engage, when waiting at junctions I tend to override it and just leave the engine idling.  At traffic lights I tend to 'flick' the wheel when the lights change to amber so that by time they are green the engine is started and ready to go.  Remember in the SEL you will have auto-hold, so there will always be a bit of a delay when you accelerate as the DSG works out the direction of travel and overcomes the inertia required to dis-engage the auto-hold.  You also have to deal with the lag on the 1.6 TDI.  So my advice if you want to try and pull out quickly from a junction is to switch off the start-stop, switch off the auto-hold, put the DSG box into "S" and hold the car on the foot brake.  When you take your foot off the brake to start pulling out the car will begin to creep and in sports mode the acceleration will pickup quickly meaning you should be able to pull out safely.

Hope this helps.

I have the car in and the loan car start stop system works completly differently to mine, it will stop at 6 - 7 mile an hour and then sometimes start sometimes not for 2 - 3 seconds and is all dependant on the brakeing even light braking. The loan car stops when stopped and then stays off until either the brake is re-applied or the accelorator is pressed, they seem to think this is waht it should be and mine does none of that.  Is that how yours works?  thanks again for taking the time to reply.  Stuart

6 hours ago, Stuartway said:

I have the car in and the loan car start stop system works completly differently to mine, it will stop at 6 - 7 mile an hour and then sometimes start sometimes not for 2 - 3 seconds and is all dependant on the brakeing even light braking. The loan car stops when stopped and then stays off until either the brake is re-applied or the accelorator is pressed, they seem to think this is waht it should be and mine does none of that.  Is that how yours works?  thanks again for taking the time to reply.  Stuart

Yes mine StartStop is working 'normal'. It shuts off when completely stopped and starts on acc or steering wheel move but also if car in front moves (sometimes also when other car or something goes in front of car like pedestrian crossing the street or so)

On 30/05/2019 at 11:33, Stuartway said:

Stopping: If I am braking gently, e.g. stopping at traffic lights then it can sometime start/stop when my speed is very low, probably around the 6-7 mph you observe in the loan car, but not actually checked!  If I come to a stop quicker then it does not start/stop until I am actually stationary and the auto-hold is on.  My daily commute is over 70 miles so the start/stop does its thing pretty much every time I stop which can be a little tiresome if I am in slow moving traffic with brief points of longer driving, e.g. long queue at traffic lights where everybody moves forwards 200 yards at a time!  The really annoying part is when reversing into a packing space as the stop/start cuts in as I line the car up for the reverse into a parking space and move the gear selector through "N" to "R", this just wastes time and annoys me so when parking I tend to switch of the start/stop.

Starting: Always when I touch the accelerator or flick the wheel, or have stopped for too long with the air-con on and the cabin temperature gets too hot/too cold.  Not noticed it re-starting when the car in front moves off like pa_ko's car does, maybe they have different options or I am too quick on the accelerator!

Hope this helps?