Fuel Economy with Varioflex Removed?

robdan

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a Superb as a company car but considering a Karoq next. I do over 25k miles a year, most due to work, and most of that is without passengers.

Here's my question - does anyone here on the forum regularly drive their Karoq with the rear Varioflex seats removed, and if so have you taken any notice of the fuel economy?

For reference, I'd be looking at the 1.6 TDI manual in SE L spec.

Cheers!

Rob

Yes it would make a difference but possibly not as much as you would think.

According to VW's own documentation on consumption factors for the 1.4tsi Golf they reckon that each additional 100kg of weight adds 0.3L/100, which sounds about right.

Weight has more effect in urban situations where accelerations are involved or hills. On the open highway with flat roads then there is much less apparent effect.

That is my experience anyway.

On a recent motoring holiday, a long flat (600km) stage into a stiff headwind had far more effect on consumption than the subsequent return in zero wind conditions with additional passengers and luggage (roughly 200kg). In town the extra weight was very apparent.

I have no idea how much the seats weigh in the Karoq, maybe 20/25kg each?

Hi Gerrycan, it seems not worth the effort then to be honest. I think I would probably remove the central bench seat for most of the time although I suppose that may have in a pact upon sound insulation. Cheers

@robdan

Perfect time for you or someone to try & to use a couple of tank fulls with the seats in and see what it works out as how many miles to the litre you get, then maybe the difference with a passenger or 2 in, 

then remove the seats and compare what it works out as with miles to a litre / range. 

Then you can update here.

& maybe Weigh the seats when they are removed.

Never buy a car on what others get in fuel economy, borrow a car from Skoda UK or a dealership for a few days, 

that is what HMRC give Dealerships the tax breaks for to have demonstrators and how Skoda / VW UK can have so many Used Ex Management cars.

If you can not borrow one then hire one and see if it suits as you use the car, loaded or not loaded, or a bit of everything.

Edited by Skoffski