Mk3 octavia vrs downpipe stage 1

1 hour ago, hazzaardous said:

I benefit from getting a 3 inch downpipe on my car? Just want so solid advice

You would benefit from it especially if you're thinking of moving to Stage 2 (and tbh, even if not...). I have the full turbo-back setup from Scorpion which, while costly - is absolutely quality and sounds excellent, and I'm also at Stage 1, with 300+ BHP indicated.

What I would say is that the mk3 VRS exhausts are not necessarily 'chop-and-change' jobs, so any custom work tends to be heavy in terms of labour & design (especially the downpipe which requires removal of the front sub-frame) - whereas there are a lot of options for removal and bolt-on of fuller systems (e.g. cat-back).

As with most exhaust systems, you'd benefit from a free-er flowing system. But changing the downpipe only might not be worth it if you have the stock cat. on there, since you're only de-restricting one element of the whole system. Also, I'm no engineer, but you're then also messing with the exhaust pressures across the whole system just by changing one component.

I'd advise you should perhaps think about a fuller system (e.g. cat-back, or turbo-back), or not do it at all to avoid any issues with pressures, resonation or limited benefits 👍

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

You would benefit from it especially if you're thinking of moving to Stage 2 (and tbh, even if not...). I have the full turbo-back setup from Scorpion which, while costly - is absolutely quality and sounds excellent, and I'm also at Stage 1, with 300+ BHP indicated.

What I would say is that the mk3 VRS exhausts are not necessarily 'chop-and-change' jobs, so any custom work tends to be heavy in terms of labour & design (especially the downpipe which requires removal of the front sub-frame) - whereas there are a lot of options for removal and bolt-on of fuller systems (e.g. cat-back).

As with most exhaust systems, you'd benefit from a free-er flowing system. But changing the downpipe only might not be worth it if you have the stock cat. on there, since you're only de-restricting one element of the whole system. Also, I'm no engineer, but you're then also messing with the exhaust pressures across the whole system just by changing one component.

I'd advise you should perhaps think about a fuller system (e.g. cat-back, or turbo-back), or not do it at all to avoid any issues with pressures, resonation or limited benefits 👍

Perfect advice there! Appreciate it. I might scrap that then and go for a full turbo back exhaust system. Is the turbo back worth it over the catback? Also would you recommend resonated or non resonated? Sorry new to this stuff 😂

Don't apologise - ask away! That's what the forum's for :)

Turbo-back was worth it from the perspective that A. Scorpion has a lifetime warranty over its products, B. for a tuned Stage 1 car with induction kit, I know I've already had the work done to move it to a Stage 2 since it's less restrictive the whole way through, and C. peace of mind that the pressures have been worked out by Scorpion (i.e. rather than tabbing it onto the OEM downpipe and cat.)

There are a few others on the forum that have gone cat-back, including @jaygemson & @Chris245 whom I met up with recently. We agreed that, in terms of sound, there's really no difference between T-back vs. C-back. It's only in terms of flow, pressures and all that where you might want a turbo-back, including if you're looking at going Stage 2.

Re: Non-res. vs. Res., I would strongly advise going resonated. I originally purchased the non-res. system, and massively regretted it 😂 It was far too droney, and incredibly loud inside the cabin (as Octy 3s don't have much soundproofing whatsoever, which is good for weight reduction but not good for maintaining your hearing with a blasty exhaust.)

It initially sounds great, but as a daily driver it's honestly not when it makes your ears bleed (metaphorically). I then spent the further £100 on product and £20 on labour getting the resonator fitted onto the pipe - otherwise essentially it's a straight-through...

There's obviously not just Scorpion on the market, there's loads of other mainstream manufacturers that other members have got great experience with. But from my personal experience with quality, customer service when calling Scorpion up, longevity and other reviews, they were the best for me.

Edited by Ads230
Cz I wanna

Sorry to hijack this thread but have any if you uprated your clutch since going to stage1? I only ask because I've just had a racingline oem+ remap and my clutch is slipping and wondering what you all are using? 

15 minutes ago, B.DIFFERENT said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but have any if you uprated your clutch since going to stage1? I only ask because I've just had a racingline oem+ remap and my clutch is slipping and wondering what you all are using? 

No problem! My car has done 85000 miles now and I have had my stage 1 tune for 10k! I'm on stock clutch and haven't experienced any clutch slip at all, I think it is just pot luck! 

Edited by hazzaardous

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

Don't apologise - ask away! That's what the forum's for :)

Turbo-back was worth it from the perspective that A. Scorpion has a lifetime warranty over its products, B. for a tuned Stage 1 car with induction kit, I know I've already had the work done to move it to a Stage 2 since it's less restrictive the whole way through, and C. peace of mind that the pressures have been worked out by Scorpion (i.e. rather than tabbing it onto the OEM downpipe and cat.)

There are a few others on the forum that have gone cat-back, including @jaygemson & @Chris245 whom I met up with recently. We agreed that, in terms of sound, there's really no difference between T-back vs. C-back. It's only in terms of flow, pressures and all that where you might want a turbo-back, including if you're looking at going Stage 2.

Re: Non-res. vs. Res., I would strongly advise going resonated. I originally purchased the non-res. system, and massively regretted it 😂 It was far too droney, and incredibly loud inside the cabin (as Octy 3s don't have much soundproofing whatsoever, which is good for weight reduction but not good for maintaining your hearing with a blasty exhaust.)

It initially sounds great, but as a daily driver it's honestly not when it makes your ears bleed (metaphorically). I then spent the further £100 on product and £20 on labour getting the resonator fitted onto the pipe - otherwise essentially it's a straight-through...

There's obviously not just Scorpion on the market, there's loads of other mainstream manufacturers that other members have got great experience with. But from my personal experience with quality, customer service when calling Scorpion up, longevity and other reviews, they were the best for me.

When you say turbo back, does that include getting getting the downpipe or does that come with a turbo back exhaust system? 

I think resonated would benefit me more then because the drone would drive me mad!! And I daily my car to and from work.

All in all with the cat back exhaust and downpipe it looks like £1100? Would that be correct? Will definitely be looking for stage 2 in near future as I get a bug for a bit more power 🤣 

Great write up tho ! Appreciate the effort 👌

Yeah could be, but I think there could be something wrong with the map. For some reason I'm running 534nm of torque!!! On a stage1.5 That's more than a stage3 golf R. But the map is so nice. It's not aggressive like my mk2 octavia, but comes in a nice solid long push that doesn't tail off.

1 minute ago, B.DIFFERENT said:

Yeah could be, but I think there could be something wrong with the map. For some reason I'm running 534nm of torque!!! On a stage1.5 That's more than a stage3 golf R. But the map is so nice. It's not aggressive like my mk2 octavia, but comes in a nice solid long push that doesn't tail off.

That is a huge amount of torque for the stock clutch, I'm sure you would run into problems with that, would it be worth upgrading for piece of mind? 

I am😂 I'm having to use the full rev range or drive like a granny or the revs shoot up if I plant it. I've been looking at the one in awesome a RTS clutch but wanted to know what other people are using before I commit. I think I will get in contact with racingline first and see what they say about the torque figures.

4 minutes ago, B.DIFFERENT said:

I am😂 I'm having to use the full rev range or drive like a granny or the revs shoot up if I plant it. I've been looking at the one in awesome a RTS clutch but wanted to know what other people are using before I commit. I think I will get in contact with racingline first and see what they say about the torque figures.

When you say stage 1.5 is that a stage 1 tune with some other modifications? 

21 hours ago, B.DIFFERENT said:

Yeah racingline r600 filter, elbow and a muffler delete.

I would say mine's "1.5" too - since have the APR carbon fibre induction kit & elbow (no muffler delete yet), downpipe and turbo-back exhaust, and stage 1 (as well as suspension, dogbone engine mount etc. additions).

(EDIT - I'm assuming you have a manual, here...)

I've only had minor clutch slip from accelerating in 5th or 6th on the motorway when I've been too lazy to change down and it makes me grind my teeth every time ;) - but I don't think my torque output is as high as yours... I'm running Shark's (now RacingLine's) Stage 1 map with a few tweaks to fit components.

Many on here go for the Sachs Organic sports clutch which is significantly uprated to deal with higher torque output - well worth researching. I'm not in for it yet as the cost of implementation is pretty high (labour especially, since the front subframe needs removing).

21 hours ago, hazzaardous said:

When you say turbo back, does that include getting getting the downpipe or does that come with a turbo back exhaust system?

I seem to remember it being the standard setup with the turbo-back exhaust system (or part-and-parcel of). 

21 hours ago, hazzaardous said:

£1100? Would that be correct?

Yeah pretty much - plus labour. But totally worth it!

Edited by Ads230

Yeah mines manual. I've just ordered my sachs clutch from euro carparts as they were cheapest @£480ish but the slave was cheaper from the dealers than non-gen @£40.  I've sent an email to racingline asking if I've got a duff map as I dont want to screw anything else up apart from the clutch.

On 01/07/2019 at 19:03, B.DIFFERENT said:

my clutch started slipping around 10k post remap. i had it replaced with an uprated sach's one and it has been fine since