1.2 TSI Cambelt change interval

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.  I've elected to sit tight for now and perhaps address the cam belt at the 6-year service this Christmas.  Meanwhile: can anyone tell me whether it's a simple job for the owner to carry out a visual inspection of the belt, for instance by removing a little cover plate with a couple of screws?  (I can but hope).

• Love it! 1

You can remove the top plastic cover, it is only held on with 2 screws I seem to remember, it might seem like it is being tricky to extract the cover but it is very possible to get  out of the way completely.

Two things to look at when that cover is off, is the condition of the belt surface and edges - obviously, and look around for any signs of oil leakage which would indicate that the inlet valves variable timing pulley bolts were slackening off - that should not be an issue now but was an issue with the early batch of engines and lead to a change of design or supplier of that pulley.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks for this thread people, I was just checking to see whether or not to get my wife's 2017 Fabia 1.2tsi belt changed at the March service and mot and, as it's low mileage and we're thinking of getting rid of it, once it has 12 months ticket on it, I'll not go to the expense.

• Like 1