Help Rear Side window smashed, replace or claim?

Hello

Someone smashed my side rear side window on my Mk2 Fabia and now I am wondering whether to try and replace it myself or claim on insurance?  Is it even potentially possible to replace it myself?

The window is hand wound and so that may make it easy, what do you think and where should i get the glass if I were to take a go at it?

They didn't even take anything because there was nothing bloody in there, what a waste of time and money!

Easy job to do, take 30 mins max.

Just get a glass from a breakers yard, loads advertise on EBay, most probably bin the glass to be honest, so shouldnt be expensive at all

Job is basically remove the door trim,

remove window regulator / disconnect from glass

remove seal / trim and lift from door

remove glass.

Def NOT worth claiming for imo

Edited by UrbanPanzer
  • Like 2

I would agree with the above to a degree. Or DOWN to a degree... In cold/pi55 poor weather, I would pay the £70 windscreen excess on the policy and have it fitted!

Many scrappies/breakers want more then dealers for some part, too so check the cost at a dealer first!

Just to let anyone know who might be searching this in the future.  The job took two of us relative novices about 1.5hrs but would have been much quicker had we not been so thorough with glass removal (most of which was in the door panel itself).  

The job was quite simple in reality and made much simpler by some good engineering.  The door handle release is very good and the way in which the glass clicks into place into the window winder is simple but effective.

Tips: it'll feel a bit like you're breaking the panel when you remove it but as long as you take the bottom screw out and the two bolts behind the handle (itself needs pulling off) and then work from the bottom you will be ok.

If your window is smashed then the retainer clip will be loose within the door itself so you will need to undo the bottom screws of the window winder bit, get a torch and fish it out with some long pliers.

Lastly, when trying to get the window retainer into the winder mechanism i.e white plastic bit, it helps to have someone hold the glass from above and use the winder to push it in.  At first we tried pushing the glass down into the slot but this was ineffective, use the winder and it'll clip in (loudly and rather worryingly) without much hassle.

All in if I did it again it would take about 45mins but clearing the glass out can take almost as long as you want!

• Like 2