190 DSG 4x4

7 hours ago, FelisBengalensis said:

It’s interesting how much they vary.  Mine was a very early UK spec 2015 S3 190 DSG Estate L&K with every toy available at that time and regardless of how careful I (and my Wife) were with it, it never produced more than 43mpg average on a 60-mile daily commute on fast roads.  Motorway runs might push the journey mpg up to the mid/upper 40s but no higher.

I changed it for a 2019 MY BMW 220D xDrive MSport Gran Tourer a year ago and that gives low 50s on exactly the same journey.  Motorway runs push that into the mid/upper 50s.  It is also a 190bhp/400Nm power plant, but has a proper automatic box (8-speed) and like the S3 is predominantly FWD.  The weight differences are not massive so I did wonder whether the early S3 launching so close to Dieselgate ever forced Škoda to make some modifications whilst they sorted things out longer term - something they have always denied of course.  Later S3 models seem to be much better on fuel.

One thing I have noted though is that after 15,000 miles it has only used 6L of AdBlue, which is about 1/3rd of what my S3 used.  The computer tells me it still has 2,000 miles range left in that tank.  BMW say that a single fill of AdBlue should last between services (18,000 miles) and so far I believe them.

How do you find the grand tourer for space relative to the superb estate?The 220d M sport was on my short list before I purchased my 190 estate. It's manual 2wd so no mpg worries! I didn't need the 7 seats in the grand tourer just the available space. I was impressed with it's handling/composure on the road and it goes pretty well😁

It isn’t as cavernous as the S3 Estate but given that my son is that much older and we don’t need to carry all of the stuff we used to, we haven’t run out of space with it (yet).  We don’t need the 7 seats either but having that capacity was what sold it to us.  It’s a very nice car and we much prefer it over the S3.  It has enough room to get a family plus luggage and Xmas pressures down to the outlaws in Wales with no trouble at all.  We have a roofbox as well - and that was also used on the S3.

• Like 1