MK 2 Post FL VRS Engine swap

MattVrs2019

Hello all,

This is my first post so please, be gentle!

Unfortunately my “return from afghan” VRS estate has dies a glorious death. I believe the timing belt may have skipped as I have very little compression in 2 cylinders, That’s neither here nor there, the thing is dead and as it holds tremendous sentimental value, I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. 

I am thinking of the engine swap rather than rebuild, so first off, has anyone here done something similar, secondly what sort of engine did you go for?

Any advice greatly appreciated and look forward to all inputs! It’s not going to be an easy job, however I look forward to the challenge!!

Cheers guys and gals,

Matt

I think it would be easier to run a stand alone engine ECU than try to get the factory immobiliser from the donor car to work. It's probably possible but not plug and play. 

I think that the term "bolt straight in" is ambitious though. There will be working out which engine mounts to use, if the gearbox will fit in the tunnel with the gear stick in the right place, are we going 4 wheel drive etc.

You can get a crashed car and whip the engine out, service it on an engine stand with a new water pump, cambelt, small cam chain and fuel pump drive if TSI or cam chain and tensioner if a 2009 on TFSI.

A new clutch at the same time, pop it in and get it mapped for much less cash. You can spend any spare cash on making it nicer or modifying it however you like.

Kirkynut 

The 3.6 was in a Superb, which is the same chassis (just stretched), the engine, gearbox, etc should bolt in on factory Superb mounts.