PCH Travelling Abroad...

Hi, I'm a little confused with the below statement. Does it state that you can take the Car within Europe without requiring permission or do you still require permission to do so?

Just answered my own question its in the 2nd paragraph for ContractHire cars - so you do need permission before hand. 

Travelling Abroad

If you have a Solutions (PCP), Hire Purchase or Lease Purchase finance agreement with us, the vehicle is not allowed to be taken outside the United Kingdom without our permission except that you may take it to any country within the European Union for up to 60 days in any calendar year. However, please ensure that you have adequate insurance cover.

If you have a Contract Hire finance agreement with us and wish to take the vehicle abroad, you will need to obtain a VE103 Foreign Travel Authority certificate from us. It is also important that you have adequate insurance cover.

Please submit your request by simply completing the relevant form found in the link below.

You will be sent your VE103 Foreign Travel Authority certificate within 14 days of your request. Please note this is valid for one year only and allows travel for up to 60 days in Europe.

https://www.skodafinance.co.uk/en/private_customers/manage_your_agreement/travelling_abroad.html

Edited by WantAKodiac

Yes, you need to contact Skoda Finance and request a VE103.

They are issued for free, and are valid for 12 months.

They can take a week or two to arrive though, so plan well ahead of departure.

The statement seems clear to me:

if you have PCP, hire purchase or lease purchase, you can go to EU countries for up to 60 days (total) in any calendar year.  Beyond that (that is, for longer or to non-EU countries), you need special permission.

If, however, you have contract hire, you need the V103 for any trip outside the UK.

Basically you have to be able to show ownership to either customs or police if requested (so take the V5)

If you only rent (lease or hire) the car, then it isn’t yours, so you have to have something from the owner to show they own it, and given you permission.

Generally these documents cover EU plus selected other countries eg Switzerland, Norway etc

Thanks All, I was informed that I could not take the car to Cyprus or Turkey and ONLY to the EU countries. I've asked for a full list which I'll post when I receive the information. 

Our first trip was going to be to the Netherlands, but even that is now at risk due to not receiving the documents in time. So one factor to consider, if you are wanting to go abroad other than the EU you're stuffed, also ensure you ask for the documents as soon as you get the car if PCH - it appears it should be valid for a year based on silver101 comments... 

I'm not very happy to be honest - I did ask the dealers and they did say you could take it abroad, but they should of said within the EU, though I'm sure I mentioned Cyprus/Turkey. Just shows that you really do need to spend the time, do your homework and not assume anything! I might have to buy it outright next time... :( bring on the hybrid... 

Received the following via email:

“The only countries that the VE103 does not cover Cyprus and Turkey. The remaining countries within mainland Europe are covered by the VE103.”

silver1011’s comment about the 12 month vadility is also correct. Cheers
  • Like 1

Check the VIN on the document matches the one on the car.

I requested the VE103 but when the doc came, it had a VIN for a Land Rover Evoque on it. Luckily I spotted it and was able to get a replacement emailed through the same day.

If driving with a spouse, or friend, make sure to include them on the document as well.