How to tighten up bonnet catch?

Wench

So in my quest to sort out annoying clonking sounds, I’ve had a look at the bonnet catch, and attached a photo. 

The prong that goes into the lower half of the mechism seems somewhat loose. Any idea how to tighten it up, the “bolt” it’s attached to doesn’t seem to have any kind of head on it

9AFAE013-C7D9-447E-9A04-50B8D1A3F185.jpeg

Thanks, I was going to do that and forgot all about it. Although I don’t have any roads locally that make the rattling sound, they are all a bit too far away to check what’s worked and what hasn’t!

The part that locks the bonnet is the U-shaped bit. The other part is just a safety catch which is held by a rivet and is not meant to be tight. If the bonnet is loose there is a bit of adjustment to be had by unscrewing the rubber buffers to take up slack.

bonnet.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

I’m not sure if the bonnet is loose or not. I’ve altered the bump stops and doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

the one on the drivers side is rubbing more than the one on the passenger side (the metal work underneath is worn down)

On 13/08/2019 at 22:15, Wench said:

I’m not sure if the bonnet is loose or not. I’ve altered the bump stops and doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

the one on the drivers side is rubbing more than the one on the passenger side (the metal work underneath is worn down)

The idea of those rubbers is to allow some some adjustment to get the bonnet height even with both front wings, rather than to tension the release.

A loose release pin (in the bonnet locked position) isn't an issue I've ever had before.