Garmin PID in newer Citigo?

Clockworks

Just thinking ahead to when my 2016 Citigo needs replacing.

I like the PID - does everything I need, and I really can't be bothered with messing about with a mobile phone and the dash holder on the later cars. It looks a bit clunky too.

Can a PID and stand be retrofitted to the newer cars?

I guess it could but would need some rewiring, removing the USB socket etc. We've 2 Citigo's, one with a PID and one with the phone app and from what I can see the PID's cradle has different fittings to the phone holder so some work on the dash would also be required.

The actual size of the phone cradle with the phone sitting in it is no different and it solves the dilemma of 'do I leave the PID in the car or not when parked'. The app works perfectly fine but that said having the 2 systems the Garmin is more user friendly and has more functions than the app. It is also probably neater as your phones battery will drain quickly so I find I always have to have it connected with a USB cable to keep it charged.

Thanks for the info.

I live in a fairly low-risk area, so I've never removed the PID. I use the sat nav function a lot, as I'm always visiting new customers. The rest of the time it's left showing the trip computer functions.

I've got an SD card full of music installed, but the speakers are rubbish so I rarely switch it on.

I guess when the time comes to sell the Citigo I'll have to move up a class (or buy Korean?) to get decent built-in electronics.

as thebrighton says the fittings are different. i looked into this a while back as I wanted to fit the phone holder and USB to our earlier car in place of the PID

Whilst the hole in the dash is the same shape, the mount/interface is different with the clip holes in slightly different places (so i couldn't even plug the phone holder in and use it as a dumb holder).

Because the interface in the dash is different, that - complete with cable to the head unit would have to be replaced along with - I suspect - the head unit itself.

At that point, I've no idea if the head unit would interface correctly with the car to show mileage/fuel level etc

If you do get a newer Citigo, I'd suggest sticking a garmin Driveluxe 50 or similar in the phone holder and powering that from the USB. Should work a treat

8 hours ago, Clockworks said:

Do the later models have a media player (SD card slot) in the head unit, and a fuel computer in the dash?

The later models that use the app still have a SD card slot but fuel computer etc is part of the app. Basically the app has the same functions as the PID. You can also use the USB socket to plug an MP3 player or memory stick in.