Looking for my first VRS

Jag_D_007

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first VRS. I'm split between a TSI and a TDI 4x4. My yearly mileage doesn't warrant a TDI, however i'm a little concerned about reliability of the TSI engine.

The cars I have shortlisted are both 2016 models, and after having VAG diesels in the past, I want to make the jump to a petrol. 

Do the 2016 models suffer from the Cam belt tensioner issues that have plagued the TSI engines in the past?

Are there any other things to look out for?

Many thanks.

Welcome.

The 2016 TSI's are not made of chocolate and have no common or fundamental design, manufacturing or materials problems @ 3 years old, and hopefully not at 4,5,6 with servicing.

Change spark plugs, oil / filter etc.

No issues with the DSG either, just do the 40,000 mile servicing.

TDI's can be a bit 'water pump' ishy dodgy,  but then that is a VW thing ever since they changed from air cooled petrols.

41 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Welcome.

The 2016 TSI's are not made of chocolate and have no common or fundamental design, manufacturing or materials problems @ 3 years old, and hopefully not at 4,5,6 with servicing.

Change spark plugs, oil / filter etc.

No issues with the DSG either, just do the 40,000 mile servicing.

TDI's can be a bit 'water pump' ishy dodgy,  but then that is a VW thing ever since they changed from air cooled petrols.

Thank you for your reply.

I think that the tensioner issue dates back to 2004?

One would assume that the designers had learnt their lessons and avoided a repeat.

A big advantage of buying one of the last cars off the MK3 production line is that most troubles and issues will have been corrected on the line.

And that's exactly what I have done - petrol - with my own options rather than the Challenge options (most of which I wouldn't choose anyway).