Fit Tiguan front seat in a Roomster ...

petrev

The Tiguan / Touran seats have approx 10mm wider tracks and different, longer hole pitch, but it is pretty easy to adapt them to fit in a Roomster (and other similar models in the VAG family no doubt).

I wanted to fit a Fold Flat seat and chose the 12+ Tiguan version in black Alcantara to complement my Seat Ibiza FR drivers seat.

Later Touran seats are the same design as far as I can tell, but are rarer on theBay as they are a more recent change in the Touran line. Earlier Touran seats have a different folding lever/hinge arrangement, but seem to have the same track width. Other older seat under frames are unknown to me.

The under seat area is where modifications have to be made.

Width of track is reduced by 10mm.

Rear holes are repositioned just forward of existing Tiguan holes.

+ Yellow Airbag Plug needs to be changed to Skoda Roomster fitting - Wires are the same colour on Roomster and Tiguan seats.

Solder or crimp, or other method to attach wires ...

Do not switch on Ignition while airbag is unplugged or Warning Light will be activated.

There is a spreader bar towards the front of the undercarriage that is retained with an M8 Torx T45 headed screw at each end.

The spreader needs to be held with an AJ or other suitable spanner on the flatted area in the middle while it is unscrewed at each side.

Tiguan-SpreaderBar-Annot.thumb.jpg.f737df19844607a3afc16522c43117bc.jpg

Spreader has to be cut down in length by 10mm. Both ends neck down and then have a flange at the end. The flange has to go !

Before doing this I ran an M8 tap down each end to clear out any residual thread lock (some sort of green stuff) and to ensure the holes were tapped all the way down at each end through the necked portion.

I decide to hacksaw off at about 6.5 mm from the end and add a washer or 2 to then get to the exact width for the tracks.

Before refitting the spreader the left side track (left hand seat) has to be moved inwards by 10mm approximately.

Brute force, ignorance, a large rubber mallet and a large AJ spanner used as a lever on the front support, and similar attention to the rear end does the trick. I could only get the front end to within 3mm of the target width, but when the spreader was re-attached it pulled the front end in perfectly.

I re-attached the spreader bar with an M8 type B stainless steel washer on both sides of each side member using an M8 stainless steel cap head hex socket bolt. The original M8 T45 bolts should work, but I don't have a good M45 bit so I changed to SS hex/Allen bolts)

Track Holes -

The position for the rear hole on the right of the left seat (central tunnel side) is filled with a locating peg.

This peg is riveted into position. I used an 8mm drill bit to remove the rivet head,

removed the peg, and then through drilled the 8mm hole needed for mounting.

Original Roomster bolt in the new hole.

DrillOut-Post-8mm.thumb.jpg.d7e2fe8e6ac41eb9ab875909920d8893.jpg

The left track (Door side) has a small hole in the correct position just in front of the 10mm Tiguan mounting hole.

I drilled this approx. 5mm hole to 8mm for the Roomster bolt.

DrilOut-5mm-8mm.thumb.jpg.e2d6c53de62f42ea355fcfa328d9ba47.jpg

The front holes in each side-track can be used for mounting the new seat. They also seem to be M10 sized and  need washers to fit the original Roomster M8 bolts.

Roomster floor mounting bolts are M8 with XZN-10mm head, and I reused these for the new seat.

XZN sockets vary in quality a lot. FAMEX Brand XZN Sockets are high quality - Other cheaper brands can be very poor, and do not fit correctly in the XZN heads - This can cause damaged heads or keys. Quality XZN sockets are only slightly more expensive and work properly. I have not tried all brands, I just know that these FAMEX work and others may not.

Front Roomster bolt with added Type B washer

XZN-10mmSocket-M8Bolt.thumb.jpg.e920cc8f0fe028849d2bd7eda8bf032c.jpg

When fitted the new Tiguan seat is a near perfect fit and looks like it could have been made for the Roomster.

Folded in position. Fully forward.

TiguanFoldFlat-Fitted-Roomster.thumb.jpg.82ebb5e10b205d60b1ec8ed82ea34347.jpg

Upright next to Ibiza FR drivers seat.

TiguanFoldFlat-Upright-Fitted-Roomster.thumb.jpg.01a6802ba1054d67bacd75174d4667d8.jpg

E&OE

Edited by petrev
  • Like 1

Nice job Petrev, i thought things were hard enough fitting different seats that just drop in. 

Your hard work paid of. 😎

ps, did the seat have a pressure pad in it already? 

Edited by NZ100
X

1 hour ago, NZ100 said:

Nice job Petrev, i thought things were hard enough fitting different seats that just drop in. 

Your hard work paid of. 😎

ps, did the seat have a pressure pad in it already? 

Hi,

Yes comes with pressure pad and side airbag, and also normally has the seatbelt socket and associated switch.

German seats have the airbag removed, no doubt for safety reasons !

I tend to leave the pressure pad and seatbelt warning switch disconnected as the car doesn't mind this. No need to worry then about changing any different plugs over ...

That was good then, even if you didn't link it up. 

Pressure pad was biggest bug bear in seats I'd put in, getting it in the right place to work properly. 

Couple of extra pix.

Outside view of M8 Hex Screw into the Spreader Bar with washer.

Tiguan-SpreaderBar-OutsideScrew.thumb.jpg.63eb2fb4f3b2dd450983276eb28315a0.jpg

Inside - Shortened Spreader Bar showing necked in end and washer in place

Tiguan-SpreaderBar-InsideWasher.thumb.jpg.13572ae1d9774dcb461b9efde3c61d78.jpg

HTH

Edited by petrev