Tailgate glass seal

There is a rubber seal (Item 2 on the diagram below) on the top edge of the glass in the rear window on the tailgate (Saloon model). On mine it has damage amounting to a couple of nicks in the rubber. I believe they had been there since I took delivery of the car but didn't notice.  There is no damage to the bodywork so it isn't as if something has been trapped.

I took it into my local Skoda dealer and they are keeping it in for a few days to get approval from Skoda to repair it under warranty.

Essentially the rubber seal, so they are telling me, is an integral part of the glass and therefore the whole rear screen needs replacing. They've told me "If Skoda are not willing to repair this I shall have to pay myself". They car is still under warranty just 2 years old and only 4900 miles (yes a very low mileage I know but I don't get out much 😃 ). Not like ye olden dayes when you could replace a rubber seal on its own! I wonder if the rubber needs coding like everything else VAG 🤣

There isn't any water leak into the interior as the seal seems to just prevent water from falling directly in the water channel/gutter at the top edge of the door frame. However if you look at your own you will see gaps where the seal ends at the LH and RH sides (about 2" long) where rain water actually goes. 

Let's see what the outcome is over the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

image.thumb.png.a078f1c73b530e85e16e7139da522dc1.png

Edited by TerryMcK

The seal on my Octavia also peeled off on the top of the glass. First the dealer glued it back, but it peeled off again. Then they replaced the glass under warranty (here comes the bad news). The replacemenert glass was not the same quality as the original, the view from the back was rather distorted. I complained about this, and (apparently) they changed the glass again, but to no use for me, because the glass was distorted again. So I ended up with worse rear glass just because of the peeled off rubber. Also, they slightly cut the new rubber to make it shorted not to rub againts the roof line every time the boot is being opened / closed. I suspect this was the reason for a rubber to peel of in the first place. 

• Like 1

Well I just got the news. Skoda will not honour the warranty as the damage appeared to have come from external influence. I can't argue with that as I cannot be absolutely sure when/how/where it happened. So the quote was "around £350 for the part and about £100 for fitting as they use a 3rd party".

I declined and will live with it. There is no leakage into the interior as I stated earlier. As Toni has said the quality of the replacement glass was not the same quality as the original. So I also don't want to risk that either.

Hey Ho.