New Clutch..it's 4x4...so twice the labour

Just noticed my clutch slipping in 4th & 5th under load, rang local garage and he was totting up the possible costs and I mentioned it was 4x4...sharp intake of breath and it seems that the prop shaft, subframe, transfer, exhaust all has to come down...so he said it has almost doubled the bill due to the labour.

Fair enough I guess, I don't know.

Anyone got an idea on how many hours for this job would be reasonable ?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I just took out my BMM engine from my 2008 4x4, the only additional work gearbox wise is releasing the 3 bolts on the coupler at the back of the gearbox.

However it's much bulkier in general.

I replaced the BMM engine with a 16v BKD hence the unusual downpipe so I could keep the existing exhaust.

https://gyazo.com/5382ae19150f71fc66a729c02d3a189e

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It all comes out easy but isn't as simple to get back in again, transfer box can stay on the box (it's rally awkward to put back again with it all in position), but yes there's some extra dismantling to get it back in again in one piece, from memory dropped the n/s wishbone and a few bits around there - it's tighter but the entire sub frame doesn't need to come out - but the large aluminum bit with the dog bone mount does, just disconnect the prop shaft and exhaust and let them hang - x2 labour is a scare tactic.

• Thanks 1