Headlight visibility

Nimit

Hi,

I am noticing from a past few days that the headlight visibility just got even poorer on my Yeti, and I am yet to find any solutions to improve visibility. Buying a new set of headlights is damn expensive and I am told by the dealer that the LHD headlight's reflector is damaged. I am not sure whether it's the reflector which is damaged or something with the headlight fading away? The headlight is kinda blacklish compared to the RHD one.

What could be possible solutions to improve night visibility? It's extremely poor for now.

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

Fit some Osram Night Breakers they will improve greatly the light output but nothing will help if the reflector is not 100%.

But can you get them in India?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Urrell said:

Fit some Osram Night Breakers they will improve greatly the light output but nothing will help if the reflector is not 100%.

Is there any way to know if the reflector is damaged or not?

10 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

But can you get them in India?

Yes

18 hours ago, Nimit said:

The headlight is kinda blacklish compared to the RHD one.

Can you post photos of the two headlamps?  That way we can see better exactly where your problems lie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nimit said:

Is there any way to know if the reflector is damaged or not

Look through the front glass for any signs of the mirror film tarnishing or flaking, or for signs of dirt or condensation inside the lamp.

4 hours ago, Nimit said:

Is there any way to know if the reflector is damaged or not?

Are you are kidding?
If the headlight is "kinda blackish" is it the glass or the reflector?

I'd imagine the sun can be quite intense in India. Over time and with excessive exposure the UV light can tarnish the plastic headlight lenses...

Image result for car headlights dirty inside

There have also been several posts over the years from India with complaints of contamination inside the headlight clusters.

Are a lot of the roads unmade, and therefore dusty? Even sealed headlights can allow small amounts of dust inside. The heat from the bulbs then burns the dust creating a dark film to form on the inside of the headlight.

At night, or during wet weather the small amounts of condensation mix with the dust and when dried mark the inside of the lens...

A MkIII Octavia...

IMG_0786.jpg

If the internal reflector is damaged though, this might suggest accident damage. Time for a new set of headlights.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1